PDA

View Full Version : After reformat - HD not detected

Strommer
14-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Opting for a clean install of Win XP Home, I reformatted the PC. Booting from the WinXP CD and choosing Install Windows, an error message appears that "Setup did not find any HDD"... and mentions a "diagnostic or setup program" that may need to be run. Is this referring to the 6 floppy set up boot disks, or is there something else to do? I have been reading several web pages on how to reformat and reinstall, but am stumped at this stage. Thanks.

A screen shot of the error message is here. (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nz_man/znoHD_.jpg)

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Does the BIOS detect the hdd?? Show the name/brand of the hdd?

If u check primary/sec ide in the BIOS?

Is this an IDE or a SATA hdd you're trying to install XP onto?

Strommer
14-08-2005, 11:01 PM
I'll check tomorrow - PC at my friend's house.
Delete key for BIOS during boot up, right?

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2005, 12:03 AM
It could be delete F1,F2 to get into the BIOS.

Depends what the mobo is.

Strommer
15-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks Speedy. I hope all goes well today.
We are ready to push the PC over a cliff...!!
Reformatting and resinstalling should be effortless, or at least I had thought.
In fact, installing new RAM should be easy-peasy..... this is what started the MESS that we are in now.... seems PB Technology sent incompatible RAM which corrupted the OS. And it was I who told my friend that adding more RAM would make his PC better - he had only 256 Mb on WinXP and wanted it to work better.

Now I wonder what will happen if the BIOS does, or does not, detect the HDD....??!!!

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Umm well HOPEFULLY your mates mobo can take MORE than 256mb.

It depends on how OLD or how RECENT/Modern the system (well the mobo is).

Can't say I've heard of incompat ram corrupting a system tho. It may crash the system, or not run at all, thats about it.

Well if the BIOS doesnt detect the hdd at all, then u have another prob.

There will be NO way you'll get XP on it, if this is the case. Normally, more RAM does help with XP. The more the better.

pctek
15-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Sounds like its either not connected properly or is sATA on one of those old boards.
Check cables, BIOS etc as Speedy has said.
If its sATA and the board is not new, you'll need to do the F6 thing during install and have the sATA MB driver ready for XP.

Strommer
15-08-2005, 10:03 PM
New questions:

Does this (screenshot) (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nz_man/HD_Status_BAD.jpg) error message indicate the HD about to die? See the bottom lines on the screenshot. This error message appeared after WinXP Home was successfully installed after reformatting the HD (partition).

On the screenshot, near the bottom, it also says DDR333 downgraded to DDR266. What is this about? Is the RAM installed (original stick of RAM) 266, but is supposed to be 333, or is it running slower, at 266 for some reason?

Is there a freebie download that will test the HD?
Maybe on the manufacturer's website?
HD data from BIOS: ST380021A; and from the screenshot above:
Ultra DMA Mode ATA/100.

How do I get into Disk Management so that the (non-Windows) partition can be formatted?
I managed to partition the 80G HD, but only formatted the one partition - where Windows is located. Somewhere a screen told me that I would have to format the other partition but I forgot how to get back to do this... is it simply booting from the WinXP CD - then SETUP - then SELECT the PARTITION ? Or is Disk Management somewhere else? I don't want to bugger up what I have already achieved, or it will be "pushing it :badpc: over the cliff"!

Newcomers to this thread: the PC is my friend's, 2 GHz, 256 RAM.
We added 512 RAM which apparently was incompatible, corrupting the OS, resulting in the need to reformat.

Speedy, et. al.- I checked the BIOS and figured that the HD was being detected, then simply repeated what I did yesterday, booting from WinXP CD, and easily got to SETUP, created the first partition, then installed Windows. Have added a few things and even got the external modem to work - having had to download the drivers on my PC first. I don't have a clue why I could not get Windows to load yesterday. Must have been global warming :stare: or something.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Yup thats what it means. Its ready to, or going to die!

Disk Management - Control Panel / Admin tools / Comp Management / Disk management.

Highlight the partition / hdd right mouse format. I think thats the reason, why it failed after u got to the setupp/install screen. It was having trouble, reading that hdd. And its ready to kick the bucket. Replace it.

Do you know what the speed of the ram is/was thats on the mobo?

Strommer
15-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Do you know what the speed of the ram is/was thats on the mobo?
Don't know, and not sure how to find out. Do I have to physically remove the RAM and look for a label?

Thanks for the Disk Management info. Just tried it on my PC - good stuff. :cool:

And its ready to kick the bucket. Replace it.
Well, my friend is going to love to hear this happy news! :lol: He told me that it has a 5 yr warranty, which seems about 3 years longer than what I would have thought. I will show him :nerd: the Status Health report on Disk Management. Glad it is not my HD going kaput, and glad I have two HDs on my newish PC.

Thanks again Speedy. Will let you know our progress.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2005, 11:54 PM
You could try this

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Since its a seagate hdd. See what it says.

Umm strange the ram went down in speed. Try setting the BIOS to the default settings and reconfigure it.

Whats the brand/model of the mobo anyway??

antonia1
16-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Just how did you reformat the disk? The way I read this it might be a reformat gone bad. Before you buy a new disk, try to boot from a w98 floppy and fdisk the drive. If that fails the drive will no longer be of any use to you (or your friend) no matter what any diagnostic tool say.

Strommer
17-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Speedy, I downloaded the Seagate tool specific to my friend's HD. Doing a Quick Test the result was BAD. Then we did a full test and it found about a dozen bad sectors and repaired them, or so it seemed. We ran the full test again and bad sectors were still there - how many I don't know, did not count. I advised my friend to run the test a few more times with the option to fix the bad parts, but unless the HD did not test 'bad', he had better get a new HD.

Via Win XP Disk Management, as per your instructions above, the HD was deemed to be "Healthy".

I'll go on to the reformat issue below.

Again, thanks much for your assistance. You're making good karma ;-)

Strommer
17-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Just how did you reformat the disk? The way I read this it might be a reformat gone bad. Before you buy a new disk, try to boot from a w98 floppy and fdisk the drive. If that fails the drive will no longer be of any use to you (or your friend) no matter what any diagnostic tool say.

Actually, I reformatted twice before installing WinXP. First was by using the commands in .... cannot recall exactly how I got there.... the 'bootcfg' place where if you enter HELP a whole list of commands appear. I think I have it written down, just how I did the first format, but the paper is over at my friend's house.

Anyway, after formatting the entire HD, I booted from Win XP CD and opted to Install Windows. There was an option for partitioning, so I made two partitions, but the only way I could install Windows was to reformat the partition where WinXP was going to reside.

The other partition is not formatted yet. How do I format this? If I boot from the WinXP CD and opt to install Windows (and format the partition first), I think it will simply install Windows so we have two sets of Windows on the one HD. So I think I have to go to the place where I was doing 'bootcfg'. Can anyone help here? Thanks.

Strommer
17-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Speedy, the motherboard is: Intel 845 DDR 333 / AGP / AUD / 6PCI / LAN
(What does the AUD stand for?).

Antonia, to format the first time, I went into the Recovery Console and typed "map", then "format C: /fs:ntfs"

But I am still wondering how to format the partition without Windows on it...via Recovery Console or...???

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2005, 02:56 PM
AUD = Audio?

You can format thru the xp cd (- after it gets to the setup screen, but u can't since the hdd is screwed).

I would replace the hdd, before u go further / do anything else.

Or else you'll spend all year, trying to fix something, that can't be fixed.

Dunno bout the recovery console. I've never had to use it.

Strommer
17-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks Speedy. Actually the PC works fine. WinXP boots up and shuts down quickly and programs run fine. So there is no *apparent* indication that anything is wrong with the HD.

I managed to revisit the Recovery Console and found an option of which partition to format, chose it, and entered "map" etc. as stated in my last post. If there is another way to format using the WinXP CD, I'd be interested in knowing. Guess I was nervous yesterday and blanked out, because it is quite easy to do as I see today.

My friend knows he needs a new HD, unless we get a clean bill of health from the Seagate analysis tool.

FoxyMX
17-08-2005, 06:15 PM
If there is another way to format using the WinXP CD, I'd be interested in knowing. Guess I was nervous yesterday and blanked out, because it is quite easy to do as I see today.
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are wanting but if you have an unformatted partition that you want to format then you can do it via Disk Management if you now have Windows installed.

Go to Start > Run and type in DISKMGMT.MSC then right click the partition you want formatted and choose Format.

Strommer
18-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are wanting but if you have an unformatted partition that you want to format then you can do it via Disk Management if you now have Windows installed.

Go to Start > Run and type in DISKMGMT.MSC then right click the partition you want formatted and choose Format.

Thanks Foxy. I just wanted to format the unformatted partition, but being unformatted, Windows cannot "see it", i.e. from My Computer it only showed the formatted partition (where WinXP sits). So, I don't know if Disk Management would have shown the unformatted partitition. In any case, as stated in my last post, I did manage to format via Recovery Console - this appears before Windows boots up and so it can "see" both partitions, not just the one with Windows.

Most likely my friend will have to get a new HD. I am pushing him to also get a DVD reader-writer and he finally finally has learned the necessity of backing up his data. Why are some people so reluctant, so closed off and thick about this topic, of not backing up anything that will be lost if the HD goes kaput? I have been telling him for two years now and he never backed a thing. Last month his wife needed a single MSWord document to take to print on a laser printer at her workplace.... he could not find a floppy so he was going to put the 40 kb doc on a CD-R.... I took over and did put the doc on the CD along with all data that I could find (while he rushed out for a meeting). Guess what.... he cannot find that backup CD anywhere, much to his wife's amusement. :p

FoxyMX
18-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Disk Management would have shown an empty space. You would need to create a partition/s then format it/them before Windows would "see" it/them. Until that was done there would just be an empty space shown.

Maybe that might be useful info for you for next time. ;) :p

Strommer
18-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Disk Management would have shown an empty space. You would need to create a partition/s then format it/them before Windows would "see" it/them. Until that was done there would just be an empty space shown.

Maybe that might be useful info for you for next time. ;) :p

Foxy, I think we are on different wavelengths because I have always understood what you have just wrote.

Strommer
18-08-2005, 10:29 PM
What do I do about THIS (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/nz_man/2Boots.jpg) ??

One boot sector has WinXP, the other one is the partition I made.

To clarify: the screenshot (URL above) appears upon boot-up. If the correct partition is selected, it boots up fine and WinXP operates A-OK. We just want to be able to boot up as normal without having to select which partition to boot from.

It is strange, because the partition (without WinXP on it) has been formatted three times, once using Disk Management (Quick Format) and also the Full Format, and also using the Recovery Console (booting from WinXP CD).
I set the View Folder Options so all hidden files can be seen, and nothing is in there. Out of curiosity, I tried to boot from the blank formatted partition, and it could not of course, and a notice came up saying a certain file was missing (duh, yeah, like the whole OS!).

Do I need to go into the Registry, or what ????

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Right mouse on my computer / properties / advanced / settings / Edit up top.

The entry will be in boot.ini twice. Delete one of the entries.

Copy and paste the boot.ini file here, if youre not too sure what to delete.

If you select both do both load XP, or just one of them?

Myth
18-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Ok ... quick scanned this thread...
Personally, I would wipe the entire drive again, then partition and format using the XP disc (if this doesn't work, try the Win 98 with fdisk idea).
However if Seagates HD tool is saying the drive has numerous bad sectors, and fixes them but then other bad sectors popup, buy a new drive and start afresh.

Strommer
19-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Right mouse on my computer / properties / advanced / settings / Edit up top.

The entry will be in boot.ini twice. Delete one of the entries.

If you select both do both load XP, or just one of them?

Thanks Speedy, will try and get back here with the results.
I do not think it is possible to select both, only one at a time.
Using Advanced / Settings, as you describe above, I hope there will be a way to distinguish which of the two is the one with WinXP on it, and which is the blank partition.... because if the blank is chosen I am not sure how I'll be able to get back to the OS.... but maybe through the Recovery Console.

By "here" I guess you mean this PF1 thread.... will do so....thanks.

The Seagate Diagnostic tool seems to be fixing the errors, slowly. Last scan found only 2 errors instead of 15 or so. I think my friend will back up data to CD-RW, or DVD if he goes ahead with my advice for a DVD reader writer.... and then if the HD fizzles he at least will be safe. Its easy for us to tell him just to get a new HD but I think he will prefer to see how long the present HD will last.

BTW, I am finding this very interesting, and dare I say, 'satisfying'...
... learning all this... :nerd: :D

Strommer
19-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Ok ... quick scanned this thread...
Personally, I would wipe the entire drive again, then partition and format using the XP disc (if this doesn't work, try the Win 98 with fdisk idea).
However if Seagates HD tool is saying the drive has numerous bad sectors, and fixes them but then other bad sectors popup, buy a new drive and start afresh.

Thanks Tazz, but... :horrified ... Ugghhh, this would be my last choice, seeing we have spent ages downloading all the MS Updates (but not SP2, which we will not), Anti-virus, Zone Alarm, and other programs.

It seems like the Seagate Diagnostic is slowly fixing the HD errors, but if not then my friend will eventually get a new HD.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks Speedy, will try and get back here with the results.
I do not think it is possible to select both, only one at a time.
Using Advanced / Settings, as you describe above, I hope there will be a way to distinguish which of the two is the one with WinXP on it, and which is the blank partition.... because if the blank is chosen I am not sure how I'll be able to get back to the OS.... but maybe through the Recovery Console.

By "here" I guess you mean this PF1 thread.... will do so....thanks.

The Seagate Diagnostic tool seems to be fixing the errors, slowly. Last scan found only 2 errors instead of 15 or so. I think my friend will back up data to CD-RW, or DVD if he goes ahead with my advice for a DVD reader writer.... and then if the HD fizzles he at least will be safe. Its easy for us to tell him just to get a new HD but I think he will prefer to see how long the present HD will last.

BTW, I am finding this very interesting, and dare I say, 'satisfying'...
... learning all this... :nerd: :D

Yup, I mean paste boot.ini here, in the forum. Yup, I meant select one at a time, not both Steve. What data are you backing up?? Just documents, email addies etc?

I wouldnt bother backing up program files / files that are installed already / or Windows itself.

Strommer
19-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey, I can see why you are called SPEEDY !

The data will simply be documents, email addresses, and the like.
Not going to do (installed) program files - my friend thought that could be done but I set him straight.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 09:37 AM
To save cdr's, cdrw's, dvd's, I would get one of those USB thumb drives, or whatever theyre called.

At least u can format it faster, and theyre smaller.

Just plug it into the USB 2 port. Thats what I did with the other PC here.

Formatted it, got the updated drivers off the ASUS site (since they were later than whats on the mobo cd).

Installed Windows on it, plugged the usb thumb drive it, and installed the drivers for it.

Strommer
19-08-2005, 10:58 AM
To save cdr's, cdrw's, dvd's, I would get one of those USB thumb drives

This is a good idea, except that my friend's USB port is in the back of his PC and it is a real pain accessing. Knowing him, he will not want to get an extension, hub or whatever it is called... unless I can find a real cheap one. I have a 256 USB stick and use it all the time, got it cheap at SuperCheap. :D

Metla
19-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Every stick I have sold came with a USB extension cable....

......But then, I avoid the cheapest items so perhaps they aren't packaged with one....

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Thats easy.

Get a case with front USB ports. If the mobo has USB headers on it :D

Yup this came with an extension cord, but I just plug this usb drive, into one of the front ports, or in the USB card reader's USB port.

Strommer
19-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Speedy, here is the boot stuff:

========

timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

=========

So the question is "Which is partition 1 and which is partition 2 ?

I fiddled around and could not find a way to distinguish which is which.
Upon booting (as in that last screenshot I gave, above), I know that the OS partition is the first or upper line... it used to be the second but I changed the order in My Comp/Props/Advanced/Startup and Recovery.

Maybe I can find which is which via the Recovery Console??? (booting from WinXP CD)

My concern is if I delete the wrong line in that boot.ini text file, I will not be able to get the OS back.

=========

[B]Extension cable - hmmmnnnn, maybe my USB stick did come with a cable and I put it aside since I have a front port. Anyway, I will mention this to my friend (who has the PC we are discussing on this thread).

Strommer
19-08-2005, 12:48 PM
BTW, when I go to My Computer, the blank partition is visible as drive "E", and I am able to dump data into it and access them, so all is OK using the partition. The partition with the OS on it is still "C" drive.

And I have always wondered why there is never any "B" drive on PCs?
A = floppy, C = main HD, D = CD/DVD, EFG = other add ons

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Speedy, here is the boot stuff:

========

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Select both and see which one actually boots into XP.

Then we'll know which entry to delete.

If the first XP option works then I would say delete this line

And change this

to this

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S

If the 2nd option boots (but the first doesn't), I would delete this line

Strommer
19-08-2005, 01:41 PM
What do you mean by:
"Select both and see which one actually boots into XP." ?? :confused:

Where and when do I select both?

Thanks.

Strommer
19-08-2005, 01:43 PM
...or do you mean select one at a time, but at two different boot ups?

If so, when selecting the non-OS partition, an error message says that a file is missing.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 01:43 PM
What do you mean by:
"Select both and see which one actually boots into XP." ?? :confused:

Where and when do I select both?

Thanks.

I mean select one after the other (from the 2 selections on the bootscreen, and see which one boots into XP.

If it says a file is missing, which entry says this?

The 1st or the 2nd selection?

Strommer
19-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I mean select one after the other (from the 2 selections on the bootscreen, and see which one boots into XP.

If it says a file is missing, which entry says this?

The 1st or the 2nd selection?

As I stated above:
Upon booting (as in that last screenshot I gave, above), I know that the OS partition is the first or upper line..

So can we assume that the first line, i.e. the one on top, is Partition 1,
and the second, lower, line that cannot boot is Partition 2 ?

I thought there must be some other way that would show something like
"Partition 1 = xx Gb" or a similar identifier.

Remember, I am trying to avoid deleting the OS line, and then not being able to get back to that partition (with WXP).

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 03:40 PM
As I stated above:
Upon booting (as in that last screenshot I gave, above), I know that the OS partition is the first or upper line..

So can we assume that the first line, i.e. the one on top, is Partition 1,
and the second, lower, line that cannot boot is Partition 2 ?

I thought there must be some other way that would show something like
"Partition 1 = xx Gb" or a similar identifier.

That sounds right the top line in that pic would be partition 1, and under it partition 2.

If the 1st line works do this, as stated in my previous post.

If the first XP option works then I would say delete this line

And change this

to this

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S

Strommer
19-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Once again I say SPEEDY you are - thanks for the quick reply.
Will do and report back here.

Jen
19-08-2005, 07:29 PM
And I have always wondered why there is never any "B" drive on PCs?
A = floppy, C = main HD, D = CD/DVD, EFG = other add onsB drive is allocated for a second floppy drive (of various flavours), a sort of a left over option from the good old days of DOS programs. Either that, or the Microsoft Programmers only went to school to eat their lunch and not to learn the alphabet. :p

Strommer
19-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Speedy, that worked a treat. Removed one line and the boot up is normal.

Seagate Diagnostic Tool is (almost, not quite) giving a clean bill of health, so we will run it a few more times.

All done now, ....we think. Thanks again for your kind assistance.
I think I've earned a Geek Certificate by now. :nerd: :lol:

Jen, that story about the two floppy drives seems wrong, so I will go with the MS-no-alphabet instead. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Good to hear the boot.ini is fixed up Steve :thumbs:

Myth
19-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Ahhh, but the story of the 2 floppy drives is not a story, it actually was true back in the day. There used to be 5 1/4" true floppy drives as well as the later 3 1/2" mini floppy drives (currently in use today)

Strommer
20-08-2005, 09:42 AM
So is it possible to now use the letter "B" for a drive?
(Being too lazy to hunt around Control Panel, My Computer, Disk Management, etc...!)

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Depends if its in the BIOS as an option, for floppy.

Dont think u can use it for a hdd tho. Not many programs like being installed to anything else BUT C.

I had this prob on here, when I tried to use XP on D. XP installed on D OK. It was after I got into XP, I had probs.

I forgot to unplug my internal USB2 card reader, before I formatted a while ago, and it was C lol.

XP didnt like that and kept on telling me it couldnt find programs, if I tried to install on D.

Strommer
20-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, you have confirmed what I have thought - that unless Windows is installed on C drive, there will be problems. It seems that while Windows may be "OK" with another drive letter, programs installed default to "C" and so there is the conflict. Last night I was telling my friend (who has the PC that this thread started about) that he needs to back up his data to the partition "E", as well as doing a USB Flash and/or CD-RW/R backup. He then asked if installing the programs to "E" would be a good idea, and I told him that most programs that I know of default to "C" and even though often there is a choice to put the programs elsewhere, problems result.

Glad to see this thread still going. Has been :) enjoyable.

greasytony
02-09-2005, 04:58 AM
As we know the left over space after installing windows xp, the unpartitioned space is not visible from Disk Managment "DISKMGMT.MSC". There for we cannot format it.
From the Win XP boot menu we know we can install a second windows on the left over space which is then re-partitioned and formatted for us but windows is installed.
We do not have to install windows here OR format anything.
There is a point in the process, very early, when we are asked to choose which partition to install windows on.
We choose the left over space and then the screen asks us to choose whether to install windows on this space or to quit/go back.
If we go back at this point, we return to the menu where we are asked to choose where to install windows. Here we see that the previousely unpartitioned space has now been partitioned(RAW). Which i assume means allocated but not formatted, because it is not formatted.
About 8gb were left spare, I know space left is required so i wasn't bothered!
From here we reboot the PC into our already installed windows installation, run disk management and now the RAW partition is visible to us. All we need do now is right click on it and chose to format. I left the volume label blank as it is optional and left the other two options as they were ( ntfs and default, respectively)!

EG:

I have an 80gb hdu and win xp home. I partitioned about 15gb as drive C and installed windows and mcafee security suite on C. I then wanted to install everything else on the 60gb left but I could not access it because it was unpartitioned and unformatted. So I then followed the steps defined above and I now have a 15gb drive C and a 61.6gb drive F.

I hope this is useful! I have been looking every where for a walk through on how to do this and after reading this thread and discovering disk management I sort of stumbled on the RAW partitioning in the XP boot. This may be the only walk through of this kind! if it is tell your friends

Strommer
02-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks Tony. It is good to have this info in the Archive of messages so that others can access it.