PDA

View Full Version : IrfanView-need .8bf plugin for histogram

MMM
14-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Have spent most of weekend googling, downloading, installing, removing plugins I thought were what I needed.

Looking for histogram with black one end, grey in middle and white at other end with little ?arrows/markers that you move in to where the upright lines shoot up. The only histograms I've found are into colours and numbers.
If I can't get a plugin, I'll have to end up getting a scanner which has a histogram setup.

Please, is there anyone out there with IrfanView who knows of a plugin to do this?
Cheers.
Weekend not a total waste.. 3 new wallpapers, new image editor with a light footprint. Only drawback is that it prefers JPEGs and my scans are all in TIFFs. It also uses .8bf plugins so sharing them with IrfanView.

mark c
14-08-2005, 09:26 PM
What's a histogram?............:)............m

MMM
15-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi Mark
Histogram is just a graph of pixel count in a picture showing distribution of brightness between 0 darkest though to 255 lightest. Helps with photos with dull contrast or faded prints. When you increase contrast it can be at the expense of shadow or highlight detail. The grey centre part -showing the midrange tones is sort of independent of the highlights and shadows. It is good for adusting overall image brightness.

A Curve tool -using a similar graph, but has a curved line which you grab with the mouse and move in different directions till you get picture looking its best in terms of detail and where you want it.

I'm on a real learning curve here too. As with everything in life there is no one way or best way that suits everyone. Each has their own good and bad points.

Graham L
15-08-2005, 02:43 PM
A long time ago I used some nice (free) astronomical picture processing programmes from NASA, who handle a lot of pictures. Histograms are a big feature of that sort of work. They probably still give away the programmes.