PDA

View Full Version : PC WON"T BOOT NOR DISPLAY!

Travism718
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
MSI k7n2 delta-L board
ati 9800Pro
1gb pc2700
amd athlon xp 2800+

The computer when first put together worked but there was some technical issues including not the right speed memory whhich was changed to pc2700 b/c the chip can only handle 333mhz speed.

My DAD::
""""damn computer has me stumped here,,,, thing got me frustrated as hell, been working on it straight for hours. till finally gotta back away from it. this msi delta was in my sons pc, i built for him, ran good for about 8 months, then bout 2 months ago, would not post. he had an ati 9600xt in it, wasn't overclocked. spent a week tearing that about, narrowsed it down to a bad mobo. so this one i have now was just returned from msi (rma'ed it), they replaced it, new serial number, new board?????? sticker on return box says "refurbished???????????. i send them back a bad mobo, that i purchased new at retail,,, and they send me a refurbished replacement!!!!!!and now i'm thinking this one is bad also, or the chip, but tested the 2800 chip in another pc, worked fine.

i'll never buy an msi product again, never had so many problems with them, and i wouldn't recommend a msi product to anyone also. gonna send them a real nice letter/email.

was getting ready to pull board from case tonight, to do a minimal boot outside of the case, even though i have disconnected one by one:every cable, power suppy pin, inside the case multiple times. but did find the 20 pin power connector not fully seated (ooops), well needless to say that didn't help. got it to post and boot once or twice, but only at 1.25 hz, cannot load 2800 speed, right now not getting any post or display. getting one beep on boot, but no display. cleared the cmos, popped the battery out, check jumpers a friggin' 100 times already.

anybody have a clue as to why, the pc will not turn off??? power button isn't turning it off, all fans still spinning. have to unplugged it to actually turn it off??? this is another problem that just developed. when i was able to get a post, i checked all power settings.

purchased pc3200, but have tried pc2100 and pc 2700. the pc2700 and 2100 are good, pc 2700 i pulled from my p4, and both have been memtested, tried all different slots,,, nothing.

it's the board or chip i suppose, tried 3 different working psu's, and hour back only had the msi plugged in, and video card hooked up to the power.

if it is the msi piece of crap mobo, can you suggest a decent mobo, thats runs radeons well?

replaced my sons mobo (when msi was rma'ed) with a abit nf7 v2.0, but could not get his 9600xt radeon to run (no post/boot), but my older nvidia card got him going again. every time i tried my nvidia card in it, it worked """

thanx,, anymore help, advice, info would be appreciated

pctek
12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
""msi (rma'ed it), they replaced it, new serial number, new board?????? sticker on return box says "refurbished???????????. i send them back a bad mobo, that i purchased new at retail,,, and they send me a refurbished replacement!!!!!!""

Its end of line. Refurbished means it was fixed and tested and found to be 100%.

""i'll never buy an msi product again, never had so many problems with them, and i wouldn't recommend a msi product to anyone also. ""

Can't say I like them - too many failures for my liking.

""but did find the 20 pin power connector not fully seated (ooops), well needless to say that didn't help. got it to post and boot once or twice, but only at 1.25 hz, cannot load 2800 speed, ""

Probably needs a BIOS update to cope with the CPU speed.

You may have damaged it though not having the power in properly.

""anybody have a clue as to why, the pc will not turn off??? ""

Did you hold the power button in for 4 seconds??

""if it is the msi piece of crap mobo, can you suggest a decent mobo, thats runs radeons well? """

ASUS. But you may not find one new that is socket A.

Elephant
12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
I would be looking for a Asus A7V400-MX board. I have recently bought one of those for around $100 GST inclusive. Will take a Athlon 3200+

Has on board graphics and sound and also an AGP slot you can put a real card in.

Here is where you can get one.
http://www.pbtechnz.com/?item=MBDAS2045

pctek
13-08-2005, 09:48 AM
And ignore that bit there thats says 1 year warranty.
All ASUS boards have 3 years.