PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera problem

ptopz
11-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Greetings. I have bought a Canon Powershot s50. It is a great camera but it was secondhand without the software or manual. I have had immense trouble getting my pc (win2k) to recognise it, and have had to resort to taking the card out of the camera and using a dse card reader to get the images onto the pc. I downloaded something called twain 60 which was supposed to be the interface, but i cant even get that to run. The canon website provides the twain 60 thing as the software i need but it just doesn't seem to work. With my old digicam, windows explorer would recognise it as soon as it was usb connected. This is not recognised. any ideas?

Jen
11-08-2005, 11:18 PM
You can also get your camera manual from here (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=322&modelid=8778) as well. What do you mean by you can't get the driver to run? Won't it install, or won't it detect the camera? Have you made sure the camera is in the correct mode (eg view/play) so that it can be picked up by Windows?

ptopz
12-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks for that. I had already downloaded the manual.
The PC does not recognise the camera, irrespective of the camera setting.
I cannot get it to see it either as another drive inder my compter or as "my digital camera".
When I plug in the usb cable to the camera, a window pops up asking me which application I wish to use to open the camera, but none of the programs i have (i have a few) permits easy use from the camera. For example, if i use windows imaging, I have to reconnect the uisb cable to the camera each time i want to get another photograph.
When i go to reinstall the twain60 software that i downloaded from canon, my pc tells me it is already installed. I cant find it or see it running no matter what i do.

PaulD
12-08-2005, 09:06 AM
You should try Irfanview, it's free and supports aquiring from Twain sources. Canon cameras do not appear as drives. The Canon software for downloading is part of Zoombrowser but they only have the upgrade to the original available for download. Apparently you can find old copies of the full Zoombrowser.

Rob99
12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Picassa (http://picasa.google.com/index.html)

FoxyMX
12-08-2005, 10:27 AM
FastStone Image Viewer (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm)

vinref
12-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for that. I had already downloaded the manual.
The PC does not recognise the camera, irrespective of the camera setting.
I cannot get it to see it either as another drive inder my compter or as "my digital camera".
When I plug in the usb cable to the camera, a window pops up asking me which application I wish to use to open the camera, but none of the programs i have (i have a few) permits easy use from the camera. For example, if i use windows imaging, I have to reconnect the uisb cable to the camera each time i want to get another photograph.
When i go to reinstall the twain60 software that i downloaded from canon, my pc tells me it is already installed. I cant find it or see it running no matter what i do.

The Canon software has always given me trouble - I think it is just buggy as hell. I find it much better to use a card reader and a graphics program like the ones already listed.

Graham L
12-08-2005, 03:07 PM
The TWAIN driver doesn't work on its own. It has to be called by a programme like Irfanview. (go through the File choices and "select input device", then go back and choose "Aquire".)