PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

Poppa John
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Has anyone got this working with clear & in focus views of streets & houses? If so, how did you do it? PJ

FoxyMX
11-08-2005, 10:26 PM
That bit only works in certain areas, eg the middle of Auckland, Brisbane, main cities, etc.

ptopz
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
There is different resolution in different places. Scroll over to New York and you can see the individual trucks dragging crap up the ramps from the 9/11 sites.
It has to be the best website yet.!!!

Oxie
11-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Ok, so what is Google Earth? Is it something you download, and if so from where? Is it worth it?

Thanks
Oxie (Lyn)

Jen
11-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Ok, so what is Google Earth?http://earth.google.com/ :)

Oxie
11-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Jen

Thanks for the link. Is the free version worth downloading?

Oxie (Lyn)

Jen
11-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Is the free version worth downloading?It doesn't run on my OS so I haven't been able to see it myself, but from what others have said, it does sound interesting :)

Rob99
12-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Jen

Thanks for the link. Is the free version worth downloading?

Oxie (Lyn)Yes

FoxyMX
12-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Is it worth it?
Hi Oxie,

Not sure whether you are on dialup or not but if you are then I wouldn't bother as it would take forever for the images to render.

If you are on ADSL then it is worth a look. The tribe here thoroughly enjoyed playing with it until the novelty wore off a few days later after which it was then uninstalled. It would have been more interesting if it had more areas that we could really zoom in on but as I said previously, only Auckland had a small section on NZ's map. Likewise with other places like Sydney and Brisbane - I was disappointed to not be able to hone in on friends and relatives backyards. :p

qyiet
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the link. Is the free version worth downloading?Only if you have High Speed internet. I've heard it works on dial up.. kinda.. but is not worth the wait.

-Qyiet

jcr1
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
It will probably get better as more areas are added that you can zoom down into.
Melbourne was pretty good and my son was able to show me where he used to live there and London was good as well I was able to zoom right into where my other son lives in Battersea.
Also I was able to fly through the Grand canyon.
This has the potential to be really good stuff and as it is its kinda fun.

Whew, technology eh :cool: 20 years ago who would've thought it.........

Oxie
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone, and yes FoxyMX I am on ADSL so will take a look at some stage.

Oxie (Lyn)

sambaird
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Only if you have High Speed internet. I've heard it works on dial up.. kinda.. but is not worth the wait.

-Qyiet
works for me on dial up a bit slow thogh but still fun

stevesumner
12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I have used it at home andd love it. I have Woosh wireless 256 and it is still quite slow to resolve really close up images of Sydney. I would love to try it at work but all our pcs have limited user accounts and so it won't install properly. Does anyone know a way to install to a Windows 2000 work pc with limited user logon?

Cheers

Scouse
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi Steve*. This is the second time you have mentioned altering or installing on a works machine. Either your employer is casual or you might be treading a fine line. You would be if it was my machine. :cool:

qyiet
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I would love to try it at work but all our pcs have limited user accounts and so it won't install properly. Does anyone know a way to install to a Windows 2000 work pc with limited user logon?Sure.. ask your sysadmin to install it for you.

-Qyiet

Poppa John
12-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Ok ..... the answer is' what you see is what you get" . Not worth havingreally. There is much better resolution on some other map sites that I have tried. PJ

Greg
13-08-2005, 12:37 AM
HiThe tribe here thoroughly enjoyed playing with it until the novelty wore off a few daysYep, it was ok entertainment for a while, but then wore off.

stevesumner
15-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Sure.. ask your sysadmin to install it for you.

-Qyiet

Sure, guess I could ask. I know what the answer would be though...
system administrators are like mean parents and they treat us all like naughty children :annoyed:

qyiet
15-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Sure, guess I could ask. I know what the answer would be though...
system administrators are like mean parents and they treat us all like naughty children :annoyed:Well.. (looking at back up the thread)
I would love to try it at work but all our pcs have limited user accounts and so it won't install properly. Does anyone know a way to install to a Windows 2000 work pc with limited user logon?It is likely that if you stop behaving like a naughty child, they'll stop treating you like one ;)

Just ask them, and give decent reasons about how this could apply to your job, there should be little reason for them to say no if it could help productivity.

-Qyiet

stevesumner
15-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Can't imagine how it would improve productivity for me. It would be fun to play with though!

SurferJoe46
15-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I got a phone call from a niece of mine last month..she was in Mississippi, and going to Oklahoma City, late at night and lost.

I used Gmaps to tell her the turns to take, I could see the gas stations and the overpasses and bridges that she was going to approach a little further down the road.

She had her cellphone, and with free weekend minutes, we talked to her on the way to Oklahoma City...I went to sleep for a while, and she kept on driving. On awakening, she just had to tell me the intersection she was at, and when I googled it, there she was.

Since I have DSL, I also got her hotel reservations as we saw that she wasn't gonna be able to get to the place she thought she'd be at in time.

All in all, the trip was a vicarious one for me, and a relief for her as we talked the miles away...me just dragging the map and the skyview shots to tell her where her turns were and such. I even send her a pix of the hotel she stayed at to her cell phone.

There were places where government resources had the screen fuzzed up until you changed the resolution to a less detailed shot. They were few and far between, thankfully. Most all times I could see the trucks and cars (not in real time though) and even let her know what lanes to be in for access to exits and such.

Gmaps really worked...more than a toy for her and me that night.