PDA

View Full Version : Firmware upgrade via USB?

Jayess64
11-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I have moved my LG GSA-4163B DVD re-writer to an external enclosure, with a USB2 connection to my PC. Now I want to upgrade the firmware, but the instructions that come with the download assume that the drive is connected to the IDE port.

Can I upgrade the firmware through the USB connection, or will I have to reconnect the drive to the IDE connector? I can't get a sensible answer from the manufacturer (surprise!)

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
I would say the IDE connection, as this is where the firmware update will look for the burner.

Only way is to try it. If the firmware update detects it on USB, it should flash it. If not, then it'll have to be connected to an IDE connection.

Jayess64
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the response. I wondered about that, but you hear so much about the dire consequences of a failed firmware upgrade that, nervous nellie that I am, I decided to ask first.

Maybe I'll knock back a whisky and give it a go.

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
It will only usually fail if its the wrong firmware for the burner, in which case it SHOULD tell u this.

Or if it cant find the burner, it SHOULD tell u this and stop.

The only reason why it will fail, is if the power goes off, while updating the firmware. Like, if u flashed a BIOS and the power went off during flashing.

Jayess64
12-08-2005, 12:16 AM
For the benefit of those who find themselves in the same situation as me - it seems you *can't* upgrade a DVD drive firmware via a USB2 connection (at least for an internal drive relocated to an external enclosure). When I tried to do this for my LG GSA-4163B, the software just sat there muttering to itself for 10 minutes until I forcibly terminated it.

I had to open the case and reconnect the IDE cable to make things work - I now have an operating external drive with upgraded firmware. Of course, I had to first dismantle the external drive assembly. And then re-assemble it.

Ah, well...