PDA

View Full Version : Troubles come in threes

Thomas01
10-08-2005, 12:34 PM
1) Booting up I get a warning that EGDACCESS_1061.dll cannot be found. I have tried the net. This file does seem to affect a lot of people. I have umpteen protect type programs and have used the lot to no avail.
2) Following p94 of this months PCWorld hasn't helped as the reference I found in STARTUP will not delete. (Not even in safe mode).
My EWIDO program keeps on finding the phone dialer and getting rid of it then it finds it again!!

3) Somewhere along the line I have done something wrong because I can no longer access the PCWorld CDs - they just simply dont show up and this months disc does not seem to have a SETUP I can access manually.

4) Before I lost the use of the PCWORLD CDS I tried Mozilla and Firefox Neither would run and reported missing files.

Heck that's four problems.
I can generally follow any fairly easy instructions.
Tom

FoxyMX
10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
2) Following p94 of this months PCWorld hasn't helped as the reference I found in STARTUP will not delete. (Not even in safe mode).

What is the reference in Startup? You can use KillBox (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php) to remove stubborn programs.

Post a HijackThis log here for examination.

bartsdadhomer
10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Have a look in add/remove programs for Instant Access
If found remove the folder in safe mode from Program Files don't try add remove programs to remove it your pc will crash and it will try to hook up again
Use ccleaner to remove the entry from add/remove programs
Use ccleaner or spybot to remove the entry from msconfig (startup)
Run ccleaner
Run Spybot
Run Ad Aware
Run a reg cleaner
Run ewido again

Thomas01
10-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks chaps. Everything works now - although I haven't tried the Mozilla and Fox programs - I don't really ned them so will leave things as they are for now.
It was mainly CCleaner that did the job.
Tom

mark c
10-08-2005, 10:10 PM
If found remove the folder in safe mode from Program Files don't try add remove programs to remove it your pc will crash and it will try to hook up again.

That's an intersting point bartsdadhomet. I have always thought that using Add/Remove was one of the cleanest ways to get rid of things. So OK it all depends on how the uninstaller is written but take the tip anyway. :)

mark c
10-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Duplicate post caused by administrator error. :confused: (Well 'it' said that I can''t make two post within thirty seconds, so I waited and reposted it.)

*sigh*

I love computing. :badpc:

tweak'e
10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
with some more legit spyware the ad/remove will work fine......however with the more nasty kinds its actually an installer not a remover.

sometimes the antispyware programs miss the parent or orginal installer which is often hiding in temp files which can mean when you reboot it reinstalls itself back in. o what fun ;)

mark c
10-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Seems to me you want to keep your Temp Folder clean as a whistle. Hygenic Computing 101.