PDA

View Full Version : PC Dead ?

Tank
09-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi to all,
About 1 week ago, i put another power supply into my old PC, its been starting up ok, no problems, but today i went to turn it on and she was dead, no lights, nothing, changed over the power lead but no go, i had a look inside the power box at the fuse and it looks ok, i mean it doesn't appear broken or not black at either end, like other fuses go like, it give no warning nor did it let out any sound at all.
With out actually taken the whole power supply out and testing it on my other PC, is there anyway to to find out whats gone wrong ?
thanks
Tank

bartsdadhomer
09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
not unless you have pc/sps tester or a mutimeter handy and know how to use them

Tank
10-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Bartsdadhomer,
I thought that might be the case,well, there is only one way for me to find out then.
Thanks again
Tank.

Tank
10-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I tried the older power supply in my newer PC, and it worked fine, so i suspect somewhere in the mainboard ?
I suppose this is where it would start to get costly and really i only want it for a back up PC.
The motherboard is old. its a pent 3 - VIA Apollo pro plus, 733mhz, could i salvage any thing on it if i have to get another board ?
need help once more guys, thanks
Tank

Tank
10-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I tried the older power supply in my newer PC, and it worked fine, so i suspect somewhere in the mainboard ?
I suppose this is where it would start to get costly and really i only want it for a back up PC.
The motherboard is old. its a pent 3 - VIA Apollo pro plus, 733mhz, could i salvage any thing on it if i have to get another board ?
need help once more guys, thanks
Tank

bumping up

Tank
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Bumping up

drcspy
10-08-2005, 04:26 PM
a simple way to check a suspect powersupply.........plug it into a power source.......unplug it from the computer tho first........then take the MAIN plug that goes into the motherboard from teh powersupply and take a look at it it's got about 20 pins ........somewhere near the middle on one of the rows of pins there are several black leads and one green one........get a paperclip and stick it in the plug so a connection is created between ONE black lead and the GREEN one.......dont worry is' low voltage and cant harm you......if the psu fan kicks into life then you can generally assume that the psu is ok........

Graham L
10-08-2005, 04:36 PM
If the PSU works on another computer, it's OK.

Check all the cables on the old motherboard. They can work their way out. Unclip and reclip the memory sticks. Undo the fixing screws and move any plugin boards in and out a bit, then replace their screws.

Agent_24
10-08-2005, 05:33 PM
I supppose the bios could also cause this problem, if the PSU is atx... maybe a flat battery??

Myth
10-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I would be inclined to swap out either the CPU or the mobo, if you can. I've had a similar incident to yours in the past and it ended up being a CPU that stopped going.

Tank
10-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone,
I took the small leads off that go to the pc switch and crossed a screwdriver across them to see if there was any power there and it did nothing at all.
I knew that the power supply itself was good, because i took it out and tried on my new pc, no problem.
I am guessing that the CPU is that very important piece that sits under the fan, its funny that you mention that, because does this sound like a CPU was on its last legs, a couple months back i had trouble installing XP, another hard drive was installed, took it home[ from the tech shop] and the next morning it started doing cazy things, so i took it back and the memory was changed, it went fine for a short time then it started carring on again, thats when i spat the dummy and brought a new system, so its been siting around and i decided to make use out of it and get it going properly for a spare, if i get into trouble.
I started trying to load XP myself,. it would display it was creating the drivers etc, then when it rebooted it started form the very start again , over and over, it would not let me even get to the point of putting the serial numbers in, it would tell me that there was only 6798 kb to install windows on, so my last move was to flash the bios, but before i could do that it died completely.
Would that sound like that CPU thing to you?
thanks for your replies,
Tank

Battleneter
11-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I supppose the bios could also cause this problem, if the PSU is atx... maybe a flat battery??

If you have a flat battery the board will still post, however bios defaults will be loaded, with loss of time and date etc.

If your CPU fan was well attached etc, it is more likely to be a blown motherboard than the CPU in my experience. In this type of situation, I would say for every blow CPU there are 5 blown motherboards. The failure rate of MB'ds is a lot higher than CPU's. Of course a CPU is possible, but the board is more likely.

A failing motherboard can also cause general crashing etc. Check for obvious issue like swollen capacitors or overheated regulators are very common on blown boards.

Tank
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Battleneter,
I didn't have any problems with the time or date, mainly crashing was the biggest worry, so i will get another mainboard and see what happens, thanks for your advise, it very much appreciated. :thumbs:
Tank

bartsdadhomer
11-08-2005, 02:53 PM
From what you describe I agree with Battleneter
CPU's don't generally give trouble
They either go or they don't
In all my years in this game I've only ever come across one CPU that was faulty
If I disabled the L2 cache the machine would run fine albeit a bit slower, Renable the L2 cache and no go
Most likely to be the motherboard and as already pointed out, the capacitors are most likely to be at fault
Have a look at the boards capacitors for "raised caps" or a brown rusty deposit around the bottom of them
If you know someone skilled enough they can be replaced
I've done it several times with good success

Tank
11-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks Bartsdadhomer, when two professionals agree with each other, the odds of it being the cpu is slim but not impossible it seems, so thats good enough for me to try another motherboard first.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.
Tank