PDA

View Full Version : MSAccess 2000

Brucem
09-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I am developing a small database to accept entries for a show. Each exhibitor can have more than one entry in each class, and I need to print cards for each entry. The entries table has Class, Exhibitor, and Number of entries fields, and the last field govers the mumber of cards printed.

As usual, help only works if you know the question to ask, which probably means that you know the answer.

Can anyone help?

Brucem

qyiet
09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
I am developing a small database to accept entries for a show. Each exhibitor can have more than one entry in each class, and I need to print cards for each entry. The entries table has Class, Exhibitor, and Number of entries fields, and the last field govers the mumber of cards printed.

As usual, help only works if you know the question to ask, which probably means that you know the answer.

Can anyone help?

Brucem
Just defining the problem: You have

Entries Table¬
exibitorID ----->Exibitor Table¬
classID -¬ exibitorID
other | name
random | etc
feilds |
|
------>Class Table¬
classID
classDescription
etc

And you need to generate a report that shows each of the entries, with a counter on it?

Is this correct? (particulary the data structure)

-Qyiet

Brucem
11-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the reply, your diagram is correct, and one of the fields in the entries table is Numberofentries. I need to print one entry card for each entry.

Brucem

qyiet
11-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply, your diagram is correct, and one of the fields in the entries table is Numberofentries. I need to print one entry card for each entry.Not quite sure what numberofentries is for. It sounds like a running total, but it would be odd put that information with each entry. Oh.. I missed the primiary key from the entries table. Is that it's use?

OK.. first thing you need to to is pull all the data togeather. You do this using a query (sorry if I sound like I talking down to you, I'm unsure of your level of knowlage here).

Something like this should work

SELECT
entries.*,
exibitors.*,
class.*
FROM (entries
LEFT JOIN exibitors ON entries.exibitorID = exibitors.exibitorID)
LEFT JOIN class ON entries.classID = class.classID;

You should be able to copy and paste from the code section to a new SQL query. then replace my table names, and key feild names, with the ones you use. Then just switch back to design view in the query, and you'll have a graphical layout of the query.

Then you create a report using the query we just built. Get it's layout how you want your cards to appear, and you are set.

The report editor takes a bit of getting used to, and could be much better. But it does get there in the end.

-Qyiet

andrew93
11-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Following on from Qyiet's posts, if this is going to be an annual show then you might want to include a table of shows (e.g. date, location etc.). When you refer to the number of entries, are you taking about the number of exhibits put on by an exhibitor or the number of free passes issued for their staff? Or something else?

A