PDA

View Full Version : Power supply?

Tank
06-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi to all,
I have to buy another power supply, i tried changing one that i picked up at a sunday market a while back, with no success, it just went BANG, :confused: so this time i want to it properly of course.
So could someone please expain what i would need to know or what should i be looking out for when buying and changing a power supply.
Thanks for any advise,
Tank

pctek
06-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Assuming your PC is not extremely ancient and requires an AT PSU, then buy quality and get an Enermax. Thats it.

tweak'e
06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
the only other thing is what size. that all depends on the specs of the pc.

godfather
07-08-2005, 12:18 AM
And make SURE that its set on 220 or 230 volts and not 115 volts...

Tank
07-08-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the tips,
My older PC which i want to use as a spare is a Pent 111, Apollo plus M/B,256 mg ram, 40 gig h/drive.
In that machine i like to put a 400w-max output,115v/10a, 230v5a, its got CE on the side of it, i suppose thats the name of the company, i don't know.
So it is a pretty old machine, would that power supply be ok for the old
machine ?

My newer machine is the one i want to put a brand new power supply in to,the spec's are, Pent 4 -Intel -2.40 ghz, 736 ddr ram, Epox M/B, 80 gig H/drive.

How would i know if the power settings are on 220/ 230 or 115 watts ?
So if i can get a Enermax i am doing ok then, I live in OZ, so would you think that they would be available over here ?
If any Aussies are reading this, what would be the best value for money over here, just in case i can't get a Enermax.
So would you think that the 115 watts has been the reason for that very old PC to go BANG, when i turned the power on ?
Its just i don't want either of these pc's to die on me when i turn the power on.
many thanks,
Tanks

pctek
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Enermax is the best brand and are avilable whereever you are.
It has to be on 230v - some of them have a switch at the back near the power socket that aloows you to chnage it to 115v. DON'T. This is only for countries that use a 115v power system - which is NOT the case in Oz.
No name PSUs - well you take your chances - it may be ok and it may not. Personally I would rather have the peace of mind I get from using a known quality PSU.

Tank
07-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks very much for the info. i wouldn't have a clue with out your great advice.
Thanks again,
Tank

Graham L
07-08-2005, 03:41 PM
"CE" is a type approval mark, not a brand. That's for electrical safety. If the old supply has two separate motherboard connectors, rather than a single 20 pin one it might not fit your P3 computer. If it's got the right connector, it will work. ;)

Tank
07-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Graham L,
I have got my laugh in for today now that i know what is really meant by the "CE", thanks for the clarication mate. :thumbs:
Tank