PDA

View Full Version : Disable the Keyboard

stevensaaron
06-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi I was wondering if there is any way to disable the keyboard.
I was burning a DVD and I left the room and my baby brother likes to play on the keyboard and push the buttons. and while I was burning he was must have pushed the 'Enter' button and it cancelled the burning.

I have Win XP.

Myth
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Lol, as a father of a 15 month old who does the same thing, there are only 2 things that will help you....
1 if you have to leave the room, shut the door; or
2 play with the kid while the burning is happening; this takes the kids attention away from the computer

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM
No, put it up / like on the monitor or something.

So he cant reach / touch it.

Depending on what u mean by baby brother.

Or just dont leave the room, with him in it!

Or get a wireless one, then u can take it with you :D

Billy T
06-08-2005, 10:44 AM
You could try simply unplugging it. That is usually OK and the computer will carry on as normal when you replug it. If it is USB then it should be a given that it will be OK.

I use a manual KVM switch to share two computers on one monitor and there is no keyboard emulation present. Consequently I have to boot the first computer to the logon screen and log in before I can switch over and start the other computer, but after that I can switch at will.

Simple solutions are the easiest so it's worth a try.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Dangerous... plugging and unplugging a PS2 keyboard can result in a blown keyboard controller chip with some boards, not really advisable :(

stevensaaron
06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
:D I was wondering if there is a program that can have a icon on the desktop or quick launch toolbar that I can click with the mouse to Disable/reenable to keyboard. :D

beama
06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Im with Terry, Hot pluging ps2, serial and parallel ports is a good way to fry a motherboard, oh include video in that too.

beama
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
wont disable the keyboard but will a password protected screen saver achieve your aim, any key strikes will be invalid unless they get the password correct

Greg
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
wont disable the keyboard but will a password protected screen saver achieve your aim, any key strikes will be invalid unless they get the password correctYeah, if it's not a usb connection then Beama's suggestion makes the most sense.

stevensaaron
06-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Will it affect the burning of a DVD?

beama
06-08-2005, 01:34 PM
not sure

but the running process of the screen saver may corrupt the dvd burning buffer. I always reccomend not to multitask on pc when burning because the data is very easily corrupted.

stevensaaron
06-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Well just tolet you know I'm burnig a Dvd in the background right now and i haven't had an error message.

So does anyone know of a program that can Able/Disable a Keyboard?

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
This might do the trick and its small and free.

http://home.earthlink.net/~daliblume/Download/Maddie.html

Once u run it pressing any key will do nothing, (but show the keys pressed) until u type a word to exit it.

Graham L
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Doesn't the OS provide just what you want? ;)

Ctrl/Alt/Del then "Lock Computer".

Until the little (mumble mumble !@#$$%%^&^&&) angel learns to type in a password it should be safe enough.

stevensaaron
06-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks Speedy That work a treat.

To any one else Give the program that Speedy suggested.

Thanks

Billy T
06-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Dangerous... plugging and unplugging a PS2 keyboard can result in a blown keyboard controller chip with some boards, not really advisable :(

I don't doubt your experience Terry, but I can't see why. I've been live plugging and switching PS2's for years with no problems. Looking at the electronics involved I can't see a legitimate reason either, it is pretty basic stuff.

Unless static discharge was the problem of course.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
But PS/2 is not specified as a hot plugging interface, Billy ;) The mini-DIN plug probably helps you (and me when I start a PC with no keyboard plugged in) to escape the possible nasty consequences. It goes straight in, so the supplies and signals will be connected pretty well simultaneously.

PC Parallel ports are known to be a bit fragile (now they are implemented in centipedes rather than standard TTL packages) and they can (and sometimes do) die if hot plugged. The 25 pin or 36 pin connectors are long enough to make non-simultaneous connections easy. ;)

Billy T
06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
But PS/2 is not specified as a hot plugging interface, Billy ;) The mini-DIN plug probably helps you (and me when I start a PC with no keyboard plugged in) to escape the possible nasty consequences.

Hmmmm.......

For once in my life I got lucky then? Had to happen sometime I guess. My turn for the God of Electrons to smile upon my little piles of silicon.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Terry Porritt
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
I had a board die on me last year when it was 'jury rigged' on the bench, and I'm sure it was when I hot plugged in the PS2 keyboard (which I had forgotten to plug in before switching on) :)

Probably most times one would get away with it, but you never know when Murphy is hovering near :eek:

Graham L
07-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Murphy is always in the near neighbourhood. At your luckiest, it's just one of his nephews who's watching you while M himself has nicked down to the pub.