PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading motherboard

Shortcircuit
04-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm going to upgrade m/board and CPU and have a couple of questions.

I currently have Shuttle AK31 motherboard
AMD 1600+ CPU
Western Digital ATA-100 hard drive 80gig

I am going to put in ASUS A8N-E motherboard
AMD 3000+ or 3200+ CPU
Use existing hard drive with WinXP Pro already installed

So, my stupid questions are:

1. The Asus board takes SATA hard drives, will it be a problem if I try to use the ATA drive I have?

2. How will I go re drivers for the new Asus board if I plug in the 'old' ATA drive with Win XP on it?(I realllly don't want to do yet another clean install of Windows!) ...

3. Can I just update the drivers to the ones for the new board after I have installed the drive, or is it done another way?

Any suggestions to point me the right way appreciated

bartsdadhomer
04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
1. Your IDE drive will work just fine

2. Unless you know what you are doing a reinstall will be necessary, it is possible to use the same installation you have now but you probably need more experience than you have. (I'm assuming your exprience is limited, purely because your asking. No offence is intended)

3. No 2 answers it

I can give you instructions how to use your existing installation but take no responsibility if it goes pear shaped
Honestly a clean install is much better.

Shortcircuit
04-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that answer. Yes, I 'semi' know what I'm doing... already put new video card and extra ram in the box and tinkered around with a few other things.

In other words I'm doing it 'because I can' (or more to the point because I think I can!)

I've just done a clean install of XP a few weeks ago (for about the 5th time) and got all the programs going 'as they should', so don't really want to go down that path again any time soon. Also thought Imight have issues re-registering XP with such changed hardware.

I would be interested in your instructions for doing it, but will take your word for it if you think it might all go pear shaped with no way out of the mess :D

bartsdadhomer
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
PM sent
Backup all that you can't afford to lose!