View Full Version : Sound is somtimes distorted

Der Drachen
03-08-2005, 09:05 PM
My computer currently has Win 98SE installed on C, & Win XP on D
(Win 98SE works fine)
Sound Card:
FM801 PCI Audio
Driver Provider: ForteMedia, Inc.
Driver Version: 5.00.1319.0112 (English)

When I brought XP (coupla months ago) a friend told me to duel install it (leaving 98SE on there to).

So i put it on D, And after a few problems with drivers etc I've got everything working fine,
Except somtimes the sound comes out distored, but if I pause/stop & then play again it'll work fine,
or if it is working fine & I pause it, it may start back up distorted.

I tried moving the Hardware acceleration slider, which didnt help.

I ran dxdiag & it reported no errors except
Sound Tab 1: The file fm801.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer. DirectSound test results: All tests were successful.

& if i go into the device manager there arn't any ! or that on any of the sound names.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix it, it'd be much appreciated,
Though I kinda think it's to old for XP & I need a new sound Card

Laura
07-08-2005, 04:36 AM
bump

Myth
07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Xp shouldn't have any issues with old hardware, it'll usually pick them up and run just fine.

How old is the soundcard, maybe the hardware by itself has passed its use-by-date.
Or you could try looking for updated drivers more suited to XP. This would be my first step.
It could also be your speakers, once they get old they do have a tendency of going sometimes, and not others..

What application are you using when the sound becomes distorted?

Der Drachen
08-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks Laura :P

Any Application can cause it, Gaming, Winamp, WMP.

I don't think its the hardware or the speakers, as they run perfectly fine under 98SE,

Though I haven't been able to find any drivers which are for XP
I even got DriverGuide Toolkit, which searches for any possible drivers.

I just retried to find a suitable driver because i should be able to find one easy,
& it completly wiped my sound out...... Thank god for system restore :)

I'm not exactly sure how old my computer is.... I got it a little after the 1st geforce card came out :groan: so, a long time ago.

pctek
08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Xp shouldn't have any issues with old hardware, it'll usually pick them up and run just fine.

Oh yes it does. Its quite picky about having the "right" drivers.
However if you can't find an XP driver - try a Win2000 one, you can make it accept it - I got away with it once. Failing that you might have to change sound cards.

Der Drachen
08-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for a tidbit about 2000 drivers, I'll give it ago :thumbs: