PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problems after upgrade

Ernie
02-08-2005, 09:36 PM
It may possibly be a trifling matter, but it's got me beat.

I've just upgraded from office 97 pro to office xp pro version 2002 ( it was going cheap at the warehouse $150).

Anyways I'm now having trouble with my xtra internet connection. I had previously created a desktop shortcut which gave me the option to connect to xtra by clicking on it, and then the option of disconnecting from xtra by clicking on it again (while I was connected). However it now seems that while it still allows me to connect to xtra, the option to disconnect has vanished. Instead it just reproduces the option to connect to xtra again, which is obviously of no use since I'm already connected. Anyone know how I can fix this to how it was before? At the moment the only way I can find to disconnect from the internet is to restart the computer.

Safari
02-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Delete all the shortcuts on your desktop for your Xtra connection.
Go to Control panels/network Connections
Right click on the Xtra connection and create shortcut, if there is more than one dialup connection showing delete the additional ones.

You should also have the connection showing by your time (two litle computers) when connected which you can use to disconnect with.

Ernie
02-08-2005, 10:32 PM
I've tried deleting the shortcut and then recreating it but no joy there. I've even deleted the entire connection and then recreated it using internet connection wizard according to instructions on the xtra website. Didn't work either. Also of note is that according to instructions on xtra website you are meant to type in 087 for the area code and 303030 for phone number. I followed this exactly yet when I tried to dial up only the number 303030 was being dialled. I had to type in the 087 manually on the little dial up dialogue box. Also little computers on right lower screen absent from my computer. Also have noticed that the word "disconnected" appears next to the xtra dial up icon in network connections even though I'm connected.

bartsdadhomer
02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
forget the area code just put in 087303030
can't remember the settings dialup for sure, but if you right click the xtra connection in Network connections and select properties you should have the option of show icon in system tray when connected

Ernie
03-08-2005, 12:11 AM
I've managed to find the two little computers in the right hand corner of the screen. But they have a red cross over them and if I hold the mouse over them the caption "Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged" comes up. Looking in my network connections this would seem to correspond to "Local Area Connection - Network cable unplugged" which also has the red cross. In the same category of "Lan or High-Speed Internet" I also have two 1394 connections which are currently "connected". My xtra connection is under "Dial-up" and is described as being disconnected, even though I am in fact connected. I'm not sure of the relevance of the "Lan or High-Speed Internet" connections to the problem at hand. Could it be a problem with my modem which just happened to crop up when I upgraded and nothing to do with the upgrade itself? The point is that everything seems to be working fine except for the fact that I can't manually disconnect. It's as if the computer does not realise that it's connected. Very frustrating.

roddy_boy
03-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Assuming you're not part of a network (LAN), the Local Area Connection being enabled is unnessecary. In network connections, right click the LAN connection and click disable. The 1394 connections are firewire connections (similar to USB... *i think*). Have you tried connecting directly from the Network Connections window as opposed to from a shortcut? Just double click the xtra connection in the Network Connections window and see if connecting this way will make the connection say "connected"...
Hope this helps somehow.

Ernie
03-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Mentioning the shortcut was probably a little misleading. The same problem happens whether I use the shortcut or the network connections folder. The problem is not the shortcut but the connection itself.

In summary, I connect as usual either using desktop shortcut or network connection folder. Everything appears fine. I can access the internet or get my xtra email as usual. But when I attempt to disconnect either using my shortcut or network connect folder I get the same dialogue box as I do when I want to connect. i.e. it gives me the option to connect again even though I am already connected, but no option to disconnect. I also noticed that if examine the details for my xtra dial-up connection in my network connections folder it tells me that xtra is disconnected, when I know for a fact that it is connected. At least I hope it's xtra I'm connected to.

Also after a little bit of playing around in the network connections folder (not sure exactly what I did) I was able to connect, have the xtra dial-up connection confirm that I was indeed connected, and was then able to disconnect using my desktop shortcut. However I could not subsequently reconnect, and the xtra dial-up connection in the network connections folder continued to say that xtra was connected, when it was in fact disconnected.

I also have "show icon in notification area when connected" checked, but I cannot find it anywhere on my taskbar.

Ernie
03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Good news. I've unistalled office xp and reinstalled office 97. Everything appears to be back to as it was before. Which confirms that it was most likely office xp that was the cause of the problem. I'm happy to stick with office 97 for the present.

But thanks to those who replied to my question.