PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive for video editing

Neil McC
02-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Met a guy today who wants to do video editing on his tapes. He's just bought a new HP, 40G drive as far as I can work out.No extra drives.Would he get away with using an external drive on USB? Or would it really be better for him to get another drive installed?
Why do I come across these people? I think it was once called a hobby.

bartsdadhomer
02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Absolutely useless on USB 1 or 2
I used to use an external firewire drive which struggled, but did the job.
Nothing will beat another drive, preferably as master on IDE2
Which will also be heaps cheaper than an external setup, a new 200GB can be got for around $140 or a smaller 80GB for around $75 (go for a 200)
And double the RAM

Speedy Gonzales
02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Either should work, if he's got USB 2. Forget using USB 1.1 for external hdd's.

It'll be too slow.

BUT I would get a hdd bigger than 40 gb.

Video Editing will eat that up in no time at all.

Chilling_Silence
03-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I would debate that, I would suggest USB2.0 could be fine, with a transfer rate of 480kbps remember, compared to USB1.1's 12 :-/

Yes, if its fully uncompressed DV, no way.... But you can get away with it if you're compressing it on-the-fly whilst capturing.

When editing/converting, the speed doesnt matter quite so much because you wont be dropping frames.

You're right though, an internal is a hundred times better, and 40GB could be less than an hour of uncompressed DV Video.

bartsdadhomer
03-08-2005, 11:29 AM
I would debate that, I would suggest USB2.0 could be fine, with a transfer rate of 480kbps remember, compared to USB1.1's 12 :-/

Yes, if its fully uncompressed DV, no way.... But you can get away with it if you're compressing it on-the-fly whilst capturing.

When editing/converting, the speed doesnt matter quite so much because you wont be dropping frames.

You're right though, an internal is a hundred times better, and 40GB could be less than an hour of uncompressed DV Video.

I would debate that.
My external drive is both USB2 and firewire capable and I've tried both inertfaces for video editing with it.
USB2 just didn't cut the mustard
On a P4 2.4, 1.5GB DDR, 128Mb Matrox triple head Pahrelia, USB2 was hopeless
Firewire did the job but slowly
A new 200GB on IDE2 and it's magic

Oggy
03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
The manuals say you can use USB ... and you can in the same way you could download the next version of Windows on a 56kb dialup.

Don't even try ... take it from me, the results suck. Firewire it's gotta be.

Neil McC
03-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone.Have passed on your comments.

Neil McC
03-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Just had an email from him, which I've asked him to resend as I pushed the wrong button in Mailwasher!I think he said it was a 200ghz hard drive. Would it be ok to partition that to use for his video,or is a separate drive better? Faster access etc?

bartsdadhomer
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
200GB
A totally separate drive is preferable to a partitioned drive

Neil McC
04-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks bartsdadhomer, thought that would be the case.