PDA

View Full Version : Internet Issue

tomsheep3000
02-08-2005, 06:10 PM
At the moment I am running 56k dial up. In fact quite terrible dial up. It runs at about 20 kbps (This is the speed quoted by windows when I connect) and it downloads at a mere 2kb/s (at the very most). I beleive this is due to the distance I am from the exchange.

If I were to move to a broadband plan would it connect at the quoted 256k or 2Mb plans that are available or would these connections also be slowed down by the distance from the exchange?

PaulD
02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
If your poor dialup speed is because of the distance from the exchange I don't think you would be able to get onto a broadband plan. How far out of town are you?

bartsdadhomer
02-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Here http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/chm/0,5123,202957-202321,00.html
Click the availability link, punch in your phone number and all will be revealed

tomsheep3000
02-08-2005, 07:37 PM
I have run that line checker thing before, and it claims that I can get broadband but the distance from the exchange or the technology used in my area may prevent them from getting the service to me.

Does this mean the service will sometimes work? never work? or always work but slowly?

Replying to Paul: I can see the nearest town from my house!!

bartsdadhomer
02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I have run that line checker thing before, and it claims that I can get broadband but the distance from the exchange or the technology used in my area may prevent them from getting the service to me.

Does this mean the service will sometimes work? never work? or always work but slowly?
I've had the same response for 2 customers in the past and both work just fine.
I think it really depends on the condition of the lines between you and the exchange and the actual distance of course, underground lines (and overhead) quite often won't take a direct route from your house to the exchange.
When I first signed up for jetstream way back, I was only 3k from the exchange and I was smack in the middle of town, but apparently the route the cables took added 1.5km and I couldn't get reliable service.
Solution? I bought another house and moved :D

Replying to Paul: I can see the nearest town from my house!!
As above, line of sight means nothing, I can see Invercargill from Bluff Hill but I bet jetstream won't work that far away
It's going to be a case of sign up and hope like hell
Have you rung the neighbours to ask if anyone else has tried?
Telecom/xtra used to refund if the service wouldn't work, not sure if that's still the case or not, make a call & find out

Jester
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I tried my number and got:

Contact Telecom
Further checks are required on your line specifically before we can confirm the availability of Broadband at your property.

I'e had Broadband 2 years now, so take their suggestion with a grain of salt.

Graham L
03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
The slow speeds you are getting with a modem indicate that either you are on a pair-sharing line or the line is very poor.

Do you get noise when you use the line for a telephone? That would indicate a poor line, which Telecom should fix. ;) If you share a cable pair with a neighbour (because there's a shortage of pairs in your area) they might do something about it if you make enough fuss.

But as it stands, since ADSL requires much more bandwidth on the same line, it is unlikely to work at all.

The "can I get ADSL?" web page system just checks the distance from your exchange. If it's less than the maximum, you are all right. IFF the line is in good condition. Only a test of the actual line can give a real answer. That costs money. A lookup on a computer database doesn't cost much.