PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient RAM distribution to programs - think so

Renmoo
31-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Good morning, folks. As the title speaks, I have reasons to believe that my computer's memory is not used effectively by the programs. The RAM is 512 MB DDR SDRAM.

1) According to FreeRAM XP Pro, it has reported the amount of free RAM has increased even though I didn't change the startup settings nor uninstall any programs recently. Normally, the amount of free RAM available on startup is around 230MB, but this morning, it reported as high as 400MB available for usage! I didn't use the "AutoFree RAM" (just in case godfather is wondering about this point) or "free XXX MB RAM" feature during that period. Amount of Virtual Memory used didn't change at all.

2) Graphics have been jerky and jumpy ever since there is a rise of free RAM. I am using Intel Integrated Graphics 2, which depends solely on onboard memory. Whenever I minimise every windows running by tapping the key "Win + D", the desktop would "blink" as though it is trying to refresh itself. I don't think this has to do with screen refresh rate, does it? I believe the graphics section has not been using enough RAM to support the graphics (now, I am not sure am I talking something which makes sense).

I had run all sorts of AV, AntiSpyware and AntiAdware scan, none yielded any potential softwares exist. Could someone out there help me? Thanks in advance.

Cheers :)

chiefnz
31-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Umm yeah, my 1st question would be...how much of your system RAM is dedicated to the integrated graphics?

I suggest either you invest in another stick of 512MB RAM if you want to continue using the integrated graphics OR alternatively you could invest in a dedicated graphics card... doesn't sound like you're much of a gamer from your graphics setup so those are your 2 best options.

Either option should give you better memory management, your system is displaying the behaviour you mentioned because the system constantly has to re-allocate the available RAM to the various applications... but while doing this it has to avoid the RAM which has been dedicated to the graphics chip.

Hope that helps

cheers

chiefnz

memphis
31-07-2005, 03:29 PM
1. Get more ram,2 x 512mb ddr 400.You will need this for Battlefield 2 to run smooth.Also it will help out Windows XP alot as it likes more ram compared to the older Windows.

2. Get a graphics card,GF 6600gt,will make a huge difference in playing games and will solve your gaming problems,(you will be able to play the modern games like Battlefield 2),(if your not playing this game you are really missing out on some good fun).

3. DDR 400 ram and GF 6600gt graphics cards are alot cheaper now check out www.pricespy.co.nz so you have an idea on how much they are and at what shops/dealers.

4. Have a clean desktop,get rid of as many icons etc on your desktop as practically as possible,have a plain desktop,(I just have a plain blue desktop,get rid of as much as possible of the programs in your system tray,have windows run under best system performance or customise it, do all of those and you will get some more ram back.(Its what I do anyway) :2cents:

I do not need a fancy desktop as I am either on the internet or playing games so I dont see the desktop as being that important to me as I dont need it to be to do those two things and so I save the ram for gaming as we all know thats were you need it. :D

Renmoo
31-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Umm yeah, my 1st question would be...how much of your system RAM is dedicated to the integrated graphics?
96MB

I suggest either you invest in another stick of 512MB RAM if you want to continue using the integrated graphics OR alternatively you could invest in a dedicated graphics card... doesn't sound like you're much of a gamer from your graphics setup so those are your 2 best options.

What's the reason of doing so if I have ample lot of RAM untouched?

Either option should give you better memory management, your system is displaying the behaviour you mentioned because the system constantly has to re-allocate the available RAM to the various applications... but while doing this it has to avoid the RAM which has been dedicated to the graphics chip.

Well, the graphics requires only 96MB, so that means it doesn't have to actually "spare" that much of RAM for it, does it?

Hope that helps

I certainly appreciate your time for replying this thread.

cheers

Cheers to you too!

Renmoo
31-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Have a clean desktop,get rid of as many icons etc on your desktop as practically as possible,have a plain desktop,(I just have a plain blue desktop,get rid of as much as possible of the programs in your system tray,have windows run under best system performance or customise it, do all of those and you will get some more ram back.(Its what I do anyway) :2cents:

I do not need a fancy desktop as I am either on the internet or playing games so I dont see the desktop as being that important to me as I dont need it to be to do those two things and so I save the ram for gaming as we all know thats were you need it. :D
As a matter of fact, I just realised that I have installed Kofabulator and run multiple widgets on my desktop. Could that be the culprit?

Cheers :)

memphis
31-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah I would think so as that is graphic intensive apps and using the graphics and then you want to play a game that wants to use the graphics so that would be your conflict there.If you were using a decent graphic card you could do both but seeing as you are using onboard graphics your asking a bit too much from it to be able to do both at the same time,dont you think.

Disable/stop using/save to a disk/unstall those multiple widgets and kofabulator.
They use alot of ram unneccessary and for what.

Then reboot your computer and see what a difference that makes,if it does not fix it then just reinstall them again.

At the end of the day its your computer do as you please just trying to help thats all.