View Full Version : Special Key Functions - Numeric Key Pad

29-07-2005, 07:22 PM
On my desk top I can get special fonts such as the pound sign using ALT 0163 or Euro ALT 0128 etc but I havent got a numeric key pad on a lap top {Toshiba model} and I can't get these using ALT with the normal numbers. Does anyone know how I can get these using a lap top. I don't really want to use the long winded Character Map as I use foreign language umlauts frequently and find the ALT + combinations quick to use .

29-07-2005, 07:33 PM
I know mine has the ablity to toggle the "number pad" which takes up a portion of the alphabet keys, which works with the Alt+ functions.

29-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry Somebody, but I must be a bit thick, Will you please spell out for me exactly what it means to "toggle the number pad." For example what would you exactly do to say bring up the pound sign ?
To get <> and such others that I need in writing German would it be a matter of trial and error to find them or is there a list of all these odd signs and the numeric keys to locating them somewhere ?

29-07-2005, 10:38 PM
On my laptop the: mjkluio789 correspond to the numberpad, which I can activate by holding down Fn and hitting F11. This activates it so m = 0, j = 1... and so on.

This will probably be different on your laptop, but look for a function key which allows you to turn on "Num Lock", and see if there is a number pad as such built into the keyboard like mine - ie. it shares the keys with some letters and symbols.

30-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks "somebody". I'll have a go. Appreciate your help