PDA

View Full Version : More Trouble with PC

JJJJJ
28-07-2005, 03:43 PM
I am having problems with my computer. The problem only arises while playing MS Flight Sim. 2004.
At irregular occasions my computer just frrzes. No warning. Everything just stops. Mouse, keyboar or joystick do nothing. Then after a few seconds the screen goes black and a notice pops up saying it is shutting down to save power. While all this is going on the red light on the comp is glowing continuously, but no sound from hard disk.
Then pressing the stop/start button to switch the thing off. It takes up to half a minute to turn off. Though the comp is completely silent, if I take my finger off the button it just starts up again back to black screen.
Once it stops I can start again and all is well perhaps for an hour or two, perhaps for five minutes.

On other occasions I can be flying merrily along when with no warning the program is just dumped and I am back at my desktop.

As far as I know these events only occur in the one program, though I haven't been doing much else lately.

I have reinstalled the program several times. I even removed all mentions in registry and have done complete uninstalls.

Asus K8N-E m/b, Athlon 64 3200+ cpu (Overclocked 10%) Radeon 9800 pro graphics. 1024 megs ddr ram. With Win XP, SP2.

All latest drivers installed

CMOS settings set to "default"

AND I have NOT had my case open for three months or more.

I did a full re-install of MS flight sim this morning, so there's no stray files or conflicts.

As far as I know this does n

godfather
28-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I vote for an over-temperature shutdown, due to the CPU intensive nature of FS.
Or an issue on the Bus due to overclocking.

Try not overclocking the CPU, that would probably fix it in either case

JJJJJ
28-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Thought of those. But it does it just the same wether overclocked or not.
Temp is steady in the 40's. As reported by Asus probe.

Could I be short of power? Have a 350 watt psu and it seems to be OK.

godfather
28-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Sorry, I have no reason to have any faith in a 20 cent temperature sensing thermistor, uncalibrated, being interrogated by a bit of software to give reliable temperature readings.

A good, accurate (to within a C or two) temperature meter would cost at least as much as your entire motherboard, to put things into some perspective.

PaulD
28-07-2005, 05:42 PM
The temp reporting diode in the CPU chip is either the same as or similar to the over temp diode (and pro-rata will cost much less than 20 cents). Over temp shut down is supposed to occur around 70C. It is unlikely that the reported temps wouldn't show some sort of rise if this was happening.