PDA

View Full Version : ratling old computer

Thomas01
28-07-2005, 02:35 PM
My wifes computer is an aincient 486 running Windows98 - and yes I know they are not supposed to do that. It even ran Age of Empires for a while without any apparent problems. In fact it is the most reliable computer we have ever had. Just keeps going and going. Mind you its used for games only. And nothing really demanding. But occasionally I use it to test new programs etc. Still it carries on without problems. But lately it has started "talking" to us. It will be sat there doing nothing except the screen save and suddenly there is a chatting (chat chat chat) coming from it. Purely a mechanical noise - not from the speakers. It doesn't seem to cause any problem and I tell my wife it is accessing the hard drive to check it out. Frankly I am puzzled - anybody any idea what it is ?
Tom

SurferJoe46
28-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Boy! A comedian like me can't get people to give me straight lines like this in the real world..but thanks for the invite:

Now, the noise part......hmmmmmmmmmm

Things that go bump or screech or snap or bang in a 'puter are never really good signs. If I could actually hear the noise, I could render a better guess.

I would open the side of the case and try to pinpoint the source of the sound..but keep your fingers off any boards or cards while "looking". Looking is with eyes, "feeling" is with hands and I did not suggest use of hands here. Some circuits run on very low volatges and variations of them, and your big thumb might make a connection that should not exist per the design of the card/board/power supply.

If you have an Italian nose, keep it out of the area too. So much for the humor part.

Give a little better hint and there are many people here who will jump at the cahance to help..but we need MORE INPUT!

SurferJoe46
28-07-2005, 03:23 PM
<I tried to control myself..did I do good?>

Thomas01
28-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Joe
Without actually removing the case and sticking my nose into the thing I am pretty sure it is in fact the hard drive - but then the floppy drive is just above it so it could be that - no floppies ever in it when the noise comes. There's a point - I could try keeping a floppy in the drive to see what happens. Trouble is the noise only happens occasionally.
Tom

memphis
28-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Could be your harddrives,have you done a disk defragmentation on them lately?

Have you done a disk cleanup as well?

What make and model and capacity are your harddrives and how old are they?

More info of your computer specs would be good. ;)

SurferJoe46
28-07-2005, 04:03 PM
OK..if you power down the tower and open the side, just pull the four wire power supply cable outta the floppy.

Reboot and see if the noise returns..that's what I'd do. :thumbs:

The connection/plug will, if the color codes are the same in NZ, be a red wire, two blacks close together and another wire of yellow on the far side. There may be multiple wires of the same colors in the same connector, as they sometimes use this place to bus another connection..but the colors will not change in the same electrical section of the connector.