PDA

View Full Version : Detecting new HDD

taly
28-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Hi there!
Sys strange behavior.
Bios at first detect HDD the new HDD, but too slowly, than sais that HDD fail. Tells to press F1. After that there is - HDD none. In BIOS HDD was detected ok. After second start all is allright.
There was suggestion that the system was looking for previous HDD.
The question is: How to tweak BIOS to forget the previous one.

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2005, 09:51 AM
You cant tweak the bios to make it forget a previous HDD. If there's only one hdd in the system, and it has been selected in the BIOS. It should boot.

I wouldnt clone or ghost a hdd, reinstall XP instead.

See if that fixes it. Either that, or that hdd is stuffed. Take it back and replace it, if its under warranty.

Tukapa
28-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi

I had this same exact problem once - all I had to do was configure the hard drive as master and that fixed it. It had no jumper on the drive setting pins at all when the problem was occurring. As soon as I put a jumper on desigmating it as master it recognised it straight away at first boot every time.

May be worth a look.

taly
28-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Tried it all. Most likely HDD has some problem, but it is beyond worranty. Generally PC works ok and the problem is minor. I cloned HDD just in case if my Win XP won't load, since it has some defect. Looks like slight scratches. One CD drive loaded it but other did not.