PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

Tukapa
28-07-2005, 02:33 AM
...to put an AGP 8x card into an AGP 4x slot?

I am looking at upgrading an old computer for a friend who can't afford to get a whole new box at this stage.

He currently has Duron 850, 128MB Ram, 20GB Hard Drive, TNT2 Pro AGP card and a couple of USB 1.1 ports. One daughter wants to play The Sims 2 and the other has an iPod mini so I was going to upgrade it to 384MB Ram, PCI USB 2.0 card and a new graphics card. It should do what he wants for a wee while longer then and keep the daughters happy. Bearing in mind I can do the ram and USB 2.0 card quite cheap these days I was looking at a graphics card to replace the old TNT2 but I see most of the AGP cards on the market now are AGP 8x and the motherboard only has AGP 4x slot.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

scratta
28-07-2005, 05:15 AM
...to put an AGP 8x card into an AGP 4x slot?

I am looking at upgrading an old computer for a friend who can't afford to get a whole new box at this stage.

He currently has Duron 850, 128MB Ram, 20GB Hard Drive, TNT2 Pro AGP card and a couple of USB 1.1 ports. One daughter wants to play The Sims 2 and the other has an iPod mini so I was going to upgrade it to 384MB Ram, PCI USB 2.0 card and a new graphics card. It should do what he wants for a wee while longer then and keep the daughters happy. Bearing in mind I can do the ram and USB 2.0 card quite cheap these days I was looking at a graphics card to replace the old TNT2 but I see most of the AGP cards on the market now are AGP 8x and the motherboard only has AGP 4x slot.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Should work, the video card usually just falls back to 4x agp mode, but it shouldn't make too much difference as it's not worth getting a top-end video card anyways due to bottlenecks with cpu, fsb etc.

Tukapa
28-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks

I didn't want to spend any more than $100 on a graphics card (looking at a Radeon of some description) otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of upgrading - he may as well just buy a new box.

scratta
28-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I asked a similar question on here before, i hope this thread helps:
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=59540

Tukapa
28-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that Scratta

I actually did a forum search earlier today, read this whole post and have sussed out exactly what I was after.

As an aside - did you manage to get what you were after and are you happy with it? I am going to get a 9550 (not SE).

Cheers again.

memphis
28-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Check out www.pricespy.co.nz for prices of computer components and get 512mb ram its cheap enough now,and will help out more as well. :)

Prescott
28-07-2005, 11:19 PM
yes it works, i currently have this in my system and it works fine