PDA

View Full Version : Seeming loss of connection with internet after a break

Misty
27-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I run Windows XP with SP2
Have ADSL 256/128 with Xtra
AVG – AV v 7.0.338
Zone Alarm v 5.5.094

I had problems in maintaining my internet connection because although everything was fine on booting, I would work away then have a break for say an hour or so. When I came back the internet connection was gone. I would try Mozilla Firefox v 1.0.4 and then Internet Explorer v 6.0.2900 but no joy. The peculiar thing was that sometimes I could receive and send emails through Outlook Express (also sometimes not).
There was obviously a connection of a sort.

Spoke to Telecom, DSE (it was their Ethernet Router) and Advanced Computers. Each blamed the other (what’s new). DSE tested the router (but not for an extended period) and pronounced it fine. Telecom did pings etc and said everything fine at their end. Advanced Computers tried a connection without the router and it worked fine –but when they tried the IP Address of the DSE router they could not get it to respond.

In the end Advanced Computers said that routers only last so long and sold me an Asus router.

The trouble is the same is now happening as happened before. Connection okay for a while then after a break OE usually works okay, but MF and IE do not connect.
Misty :help:

bartsdadhomer
27-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I have the same every now & again, right clicking zonealarm & disabling it always works for me. I reckon it's a bit buggy, I've just learned to live with it.
Soon as access is back I just enable it again
Must try another firewall when I can be bothered

Metla
27-07-2005, 10:28 PM
manually assign the DNS servers.

bartsdadhomer
27-07-2005, 10:35 PM
I have always had the DNS servers manually assigned and it still does it.
Dynalink RTA300

Metla
27-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Ah well, that was my best guess.

All the comp on my home network tended to lose the ability to view web pages after not being used for a shortish period of time, or would initially be fine but only last a couple of minutes.

I switched one comp over to the Xtra DNS servers (only ones I had written down) and its been perfect ever since.

Changed all the comps over and haven't had a single drop-out since.

Isp is Orcon.....

tweak'e
27-07-2005, 10:42 PM
try the new 6 series ZA.

Misty
27-07-2005, 10:58 PM
try the new 6 series ZA.

Will do tweak'e
thanks
Misty :thumbs:

PS - but tomorrow as now off to bed - the alarm goes at 4.55am :annoyed:

Misty
30-07-2005, 11:59 AM
try the new 6 series ZA.

Should I do this in safe mode please ? I presume that if ZoneAlarm needs me to uninstall version 5.5 it will prompt me to do so before I open up version 6 - after download.

I am concerned to get process right because for some reason in the last 15-20 mins I am getting a long series of messages from current ZoneAlarm that it is blocking Internet access to my computer from [TCP Port 2869] 192.168.1.1 to [TCP Port 3153], then [TCP Port 3160], then [3161], then [3165], then [3169],then [2869] etc ...[TCP Flags S].

Seems like someone is pretty damn determined ! It is quite worrying !!
Misty :eek:

Speedy Gonzales
30-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Port 2869 is upnp framework in XP. 192.168.1.1 sounds like the router.

Sounds like Zonealarm is blocking something to / from the router.

Misty
30-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Port 2869 is upnp framework in XP. 192.168.1.1 sounds like the router.

Sounds like Zonealarm is blocking something to / from the router.

Hi, Speedy G.
I have just come back from shopping and while out suddenly recalled that the IP address seemed almost undoubtedly the address for the router. Same conclusion as you. Have checked on my return and it definitely is the router.
I presumably need to tell ZoneAlarm that router can access PC, and vice versa.
Think even I can probably do that by now ! Here goes.
thanks
Misty ;)

Misty
30-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi, Speedy G.
Think even I can probably do that by now ! Here goes.
thanks
Misty ;)

Did it ! Managed to figure it out quite quickly.
Misty :thumbs: