PDA

View Full Version : File will not delete

seatedharlequin
27-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I read over a post of someone having a similar problem with a kazaa file. I use limewire and tried the whole command prompt thing which ended with it not showing on the directory but still in the folder. The name cannot be changed nor the file moved and by no means can it seem to be deleted and as far as my computer is concerned the folder is empty (of course till you try to delete it). I'm at a loss for answers so if anyone has the time and the know how to fix this box o bits I would really appreciate it.

Prescott
27-07-2005, 06:45 PM
what file? is it something you downloaded with limewire?

if you illegally downloaded a file, we will not help you, it is against the forum rules.

Cicero
27-07-2005, 07:10 PM
The chap is trying to delete a file,I doubt it's illegal to do that.
Innocent till proven guilty is my motto.

mzee
27-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I presume that you are using Windows.
Try booting into DOS with a start-up floppy & delete it with Dos commands.

zqwerty
27-07-2005, 07:48 PM
http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/dr-delete.htm

seatedharlequin
28-07-2005, 05:07 PM
So I downloaded Dr. D and when I browsed and clicked on it the file could not be found. This file is a bit old and I don't remember ever downloading it (I share this computer with a few people so something's slip by). I try to keep the computer clean so I delete anything I find that seems old or a bother. It was definitely from limewire or so the folder leads me to believe. I deleted that program a while back so it can't be new. In my many attempts to rid myself of it I had decided to try copy and pasting it just to see if it could at least be moved (a button I discovered not too long ago just to give you a rough overview of my computer literacy). Well, it didn't like that too much my comcast box shut off and I seem to have lost some basic programs like word and QuickTime. The word files are all there; haven't had much luck finding the QuickTime. I fear I have awakened a sleeping giant.

seatedharlequin
28-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Almost forgot, not too keen on what dos would be. If you wouldn't mind elaborating it would be greatly appreciated.

seatedharlequin
28-07-2005, 05:19 PM
correction the program is quicken

seatedharlequin
29-07-2005, 04:29 PM
so I re-installed my programs and am not too clear on the doss thing still but the file is still there and not going anywhere if you have the time to explain.

Rob99
29-07-2005, 04:37 PM
-Open a Command Prompt window.

-Close any open windows.

-Close explorer.exe there are two ways
-1--start > Turn off computer, hold down CTRL+SHIFT+ALT and press the CANCEL button.
-2--CTRL+ALT+DEL and End task in the process tab

-Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the command prompt type del <filename>.

-Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.

Cicero
29-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Try JV16 power tools.

http://www.macecraft.com/downloads/

Scouse
29-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Seated* Have you tried the simple, free MoveOnBoot? I've used it a couple of times successfully. You can use COPY or DELETE and works before the opening Windows can lock or alter the file. Requires a reboot. Anyway, have a look at the download here. (http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/index.html) :cool: