PDA

View Full Version : Word Attachment Problem

Winston001
27-07-2005, 02:56 PM
An odd problem. A person using Outlook sends me Word attachments, as well as to many others. The other recipients all receive the attachment and can open it.

But in my case, no attachment. The paperclip icon appears beside the header in Incoming Mail, but not on the right hand side of the message itself. This occurs on two PCs in our office, not just a single machine. Both allow attachments. OE6 and XP.

But wait - there is more. The same email sent to a third party and forwarded to me now contains the attachment which I can open. The only intervening action is that the third party opened the attachment (to have a nosey) before forwarding it.

I have no trouble opening attachments from other people.

Murray P
27-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Spam filtering software or AV?

Rob99
27-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Maybe they have a rule on their computer when they send an email to you, that strips attachments.

Winston001
27-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Hmmm. We use AVG. And yes, we do send jokes to this person. Perhaps the stripping of attachments on Reply is applying to all email sent to us.

Apparently an IT person looked at the other persons computer and couldn't tell why this was happening. Mind you, they also couldn't sort out some address book problems either. I created new address folders in about 10 minutes. :thumbs:

EX-WESTY
27-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Your using Outlook Express?

If that's the case Outlook may have deemed the file as unsafe, therefore the attachment icon shows but the file is greyed out and you can't get to it.

There's a couple of settings to change I recall, either security or options to tell it to go away and let you into all and sundry attachments you may recieve.

Either that or go and buy the bigger version or get a real email program. :p
And don't go anywhere near Incredimail - biggest piece of bloatware and crap I've ever seen. :2cents:

FoxyMX
27-07-2005, 06:34 PM
or get a real email program. :p Eudora. :thumbs:

Winston001
27-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes it would be interesting for me to use another program but not much help to the rest of the people I work with. In my experience most aren't interested in computers and certainly aren't interested in new programs.

notechyet
27-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Hello
Again and again I hear and read about Eudora: what is the good thing with it?
What's better then OE or Outlook or even Mozilla(mozilla suite).
I am looking at options especially when it comes down to convert a backup to a text and save any attachments?

I am looking forward to hear the good news :)

Gion

Laura
27-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm still reeling from Ex-Westy's suggestion that anyone like Winston (who runs a professional office) would touch Incredimail with a 10ft pole.

Incredimail is for newbs who know no better (Yes, I did install it originally myself ) and teenagers who love smileys - plus middle-aged relatives of mine who have no idea that emails they send me have a whole row of winking/grinning/bouncing/blinking/infuriating faces along the bottom of every one - no matter what the subject..

(Just had one visiting & showed him on my machine what he was sending. They didn't show on his, so he had no idea. As we'd been discussing a Will, he was a little embarrassed...)
So I guess this is a diversion on the thread subject to warn about Incredimail - and this is only about its appearance. It has other resource-hogging disadvantages.

(Next task - when I've time - could be: Why:"touch it with a 10ft pole"? Must be something about 10 feet historically?)

FoxyMX
27-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Again and again I hear and read about Eudora: what is the good thing with it?

Well for a start it is not OE so therefore is not a target for MS oriented malware.

There are heaps of other reasons I prefer it, including being much easier to backup and restore both emails and settings than OE and I also like the way attachments go into their own folder automatically. Also, the paid version's spam/junk mail filter is excellent.

Have a look at this page (http://www.eudora.com/email/features/) for an extensive list of Eudora's features.

EX-WESTY
27-07-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm still reeling from Ex-Westy's suggestion that anyone like Winston (who runs a professional office) would touch Incredimail with a 10ft pole.

I'm fully aware of Winston's status and standing
The Incredimail jibe was a swipe, I never suggested that he use it.

Winston didn't and still hasn't said what program is being used on the office pc's. although he does mention OE6, this I take to be Outlook express, and as such the program is locked down on many attachment types unless you adjust it so that viruses and malware don't run rampant in the preview pane.

For others that do go looking for an alternative from time to time I just said don't touch Incredimail.

As usual more info from the poster in the 1st instance would ensure a more prompt and succinct reply

Laura
28-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Pax, EX-WESTY.
No, I didn't really believe you suggested it (My wrong choice of words)
And because your post gave me the chance to soundoff against Incredimail, I thank you.

Winston001
28-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Winston didn't and still hasn't said what program is being used on the office pc's.

As usual more info from the poster in the 1st instance would ensure a more prompt and succinct reply

Eerk :waughh: I thought I'd given all the info nescessary viz. XP on all machines. OE6 = Outlook Express 6 at my end and Outlook at the senders end. I quite seriously don't know what more I could have said?

Have since experimented and found that the same email and attachment sent to a different POP3 address still arrives without the attachment from this specific sender. OE is set to allow attachments and I routinely receive them intact from others.

It is a mystery.

Winston001
28-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Next task - when I've time - could be: Why:"touch it with a 10ft pole"? Must be something about 10 feet historically?

The correct phrase is "I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot bargepole". Somehow the barge has disappeared. :D

Cicero
28-07-2005, 09:40 PM
It will be a error in the network setup.

Scouse
28-07-2005, 09:52 PM
The correct phrase is "I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot bargepole". Somehow the barge has disappeared. The original, bargepole, is English. The abbreviated, pole, is North American.

Laura
28-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Gee, those Yanks will steal anything.
Even barges...
(Sorry, SurferJoe)

Safari
29-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Have a look at the information at here.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290809&ID=kb;en-us;Q290809

The use of TNEF is commonly affected by settings in Outlook that are referred to as Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format (RTF)

Problem: Recipient does not receive regular file attachments.
Solution: Turn TNEF off (either for the recipient, or globally) by selecting Plain text or HTML

In Outlook - Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format (TNEF) is not the same as HTML

Winston001
29-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Safari, I'll try that and post back in a few days.