PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic screwed my partitions

Greven
27-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I used partition magic to try resize a partition on my parent's computer, but it encountered an error & left the partition blank. I had all the data backed up so I formatted the partition, but it bluescreened before it finished & now I can't boot windows - when it would usualy load the explorer shell it comes up with an error about a missing dll & I'm stuck with a black screen. Same thing happens in safe mode.

I thought I would use mandrake move to backup the other partition to my computer & reinstall windows, but with both smb & ftp, the transfer just stalls after the folders are created. Any idea how I can back up everything to my computer without taking the drive out & sticking it in my computer? (my parent's case is horrible to work with).

Before I ran partition magic, I ran chkdsk over the drive & it found about 10 bad sectors. Is this a bad sign, or will it keep limping along for years yet?

drcspy
27-07-2005, 01:16 PM
bad sectors are ALWAYS a bad sign............if you are running xp then try this.......when bootin tap F8 key repeatedly you'll get a menu screen then use your arrow key to goto 'last known good config' and tap enter......cross fingers....otherwise gotto www.seagate.com and download 'seatools' prog and double clik it that'll write it to a boot disk then start the pc with a boot disk and check your hdd.........also if you have pm installed on a different pc start up pm and theres a function in there that lets you create boot floppies which will allow you to run pm from boot floppy maybe you can fix your prob that way

Murray P
27-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Agree, bad sectors aren't a good sign, but chkdisk isn't the best scanner to use.

What was the BSOD and Windows Explorer error? These emay be a good pointer to what is going on. What type of drives and configuration?

Greven
27-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I didn't take any notice of the BSOD error & I can't remember what dll the windows error was complaining about. It has a 60 gig maxtor as primary master (2 partitions) and an old quantum 4 gig primary slave that just has all the digital photos on it.

Murray P
27-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Maxtor has similar disc diagnosis tools to Seagate. Download one that also checks the controler and cable.

Is SMART enabled? Some BIOS' allow SMART to be enabled or disabled, it should be on.

Greven
29-07-2005, 03:24 PM
The error when I start windows is:
lsass.exe - component could not be found
SAMSRV.dll could not be found

If I can get windows going again just for a short while I will be able to get into outlook & export all the messages & contacts.

vapo
30-07-2005, 02:54 AM
With PM and resizing partitions you should always:

a) Defrag before starting
b) check and fix errors on the disk
c) back up your data
d) resize using the boot disks (especially if resizing windows partition)
e) never ever cancel out of an operation if it is still running
f) use the latest version of PM, some older versions have bugs & can cause you to lose data

linw
31-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Don't you hate it when that happens? Drops the cred somewhat, eh? Maybe this will help with the file replacement?
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21093523.html

I always sweat with partition changes but PM should have checked the disk for errors before starting.

Good luck.