PDA

View Full Version : Old file names 8.3

Thomas01
27-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I use DCWIN for all my drawings. I have used just about every other drawing program as well and in fact I am trying now to learn TurboCad (not easy). DCWIN I find beats them all for normal straightforward 2D drawing. But it has never been updated from its Win3.1 version so is limited to the old 8.3 system of file names. TRIUS the owners of the program refuse to consider an update.
Does anybody know of a program that would allow me to use long file names for this otherwise superb program.
Tom

johnd
27-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I would think you are stuck with this. Fixing this would involve re-writing the program code I would think.

andy
28-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I use Autosketch v2, which I've had for about 12 years. It is also an old Win 3.11 program that uses 8.3 filenames. I get around the problem as follows -

save the file with an 8.3 name (ie: newfile.dat)

go into windows explorer (my computer) and change the filename to something sensible, remembering to leave the .3 extender intact.(ie: "floorplan of new extensions.dat").

You should be able to open the file from within the software (it will probably show up as floorp~1 in the "open file" list), but you can open it by clicking on the filename in My Computer as long as you let Windows know what software to use (use "open with" and check the "always use this program" box).

While this may all sound a bit cumbersome, at least it lets you use a filename that makes some sense when you go back to find it.

Thomas01
29-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Andy
Thank you very much for your suggestion. So blatantly obvious. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but drew my attention to the fact that I wasn't thinking properly when I was trying to improve the situation. I've been sat here banging my head and saying "Now why didn't I think of that."
I did in fact have another method - saving the files in jpg format. Took a little extra fiddling and effort but having thumbnails of the drawings was helpful.
When I tried your suggestion I ran into a problem getting EXPLORE to open my files - but thats another story, now Ok and if you want the details see my thread "Ugh Registry Problem I think"
Again thanks
Tom