PDA

View Full Version : fedora core 3 unistall

anaroo
27-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I have installed fedora core 3 and win xp prof on same computer and use ferora's dual boot program at the begining to sellect which program i want to statr. fedora is not working the way i want so want to unistall it. How can it and make sure xp is working after uninstall?

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Boot the WinXP Install CD and run:
fixmbr
fixboot

From the recovery console :)

anaroo
27-07-2005, 09:12 PM
thanks, but it did not work. nothing happend after it booted from xp disc, just blank screen.

wouldn't it be easier to wipe the whole partition with fc3 using partition magic 8?

johnd
27-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Just deleting the Linux partitions will not result in a system that will boot to WIndows. The Linux GRUB boot loader has at least 2 stages. One is in the master boot record and the other is on one of the Linux partitions. Hence deleting the Linux partitions will result in a boot loader that does not work. Hence the instructions from above that will restore the Windows boot loader to the MBR.

Not sure why it didn't work though?

Jen
27-07-2005, 11:17 PM
See if following these instructions gets you to the Recovery Console using your XP CD - To start the computer and use the Recovery Console (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_run_console.mspx)

anaroo
28-07-2005, 10:14 AM
thanks all, but there are 2 partitions allocated to linux. if both of them are deleted or reformatted to say to nfts then grub would be deteled too, wouldn't it?

the recovery mode did not work either.

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Partly

As mentioned, grub has more than one 'part' to it.

One part which is installed on one of the linux partitions, the other part on the MBR (Master Boot Record).

Its still on the MBR regardless of you removing the partition, hence why you _must_ boot the WinXP Install CD into the Recovery Console and run:
fixboot
fixmbr

Cheers

Chill.

anaroo
28-07-2005, 08:14 PM
ok got it will ahve try to get xp cd work an use those comands to wipe out grub. with the cd problems i have it seems a bit of catch 22...

thanks, anaroo