PDA

View Full Version : Computers won't talk to each other

TerryM
26-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I have just set up a router joining my desktop (Win98) and my laptop (XP). I had a lot of trouble, but finally figured what I had wrong. Both worked. But only once.

Now my desktop can see all the shared laptop files, but the laptop will not access any of the desktop files. After a loooong pause it returns "\\desktop\H is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found."

I seem to have missed something: anyone suggest an answer?

TerryM

sambaird
26-07-2005, 05:55 PM
can they ping

TerryM
26-07-2005, 06:28 PM
You mean ping the router?

desktop times out.

laptop: 'Destination host unreachable.'

BTW laptop correctly finds the desktop's name. Just can't access the files.

[and yes, I would like to change to Linux, but there are applications I can't do without, and don't have to the skill to devise alternatives, nor the time to gain that skill. Already spent much time discovering the truth of this].

TerryM

Billy T
26-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Assuming you have IP addresses (manual) and gateways set correctly, manually set the DNS server addresses as well and enable netBEUI protocol in addition to TCP/IP.

Works for me every time on a mix of W95 mini-notebook, 1xW98 & 3xW2K computers and a W2K Laptop. Enabled sharing and all is well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
26-07-2005, 09:55 PM
This website looks fairly good for describing networking between XP and Win98.
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/wxpwin9x.html

It is important to have the same username and password on each computer. Billy's suggestion of using Netbeui as well as TCP/IP is ok, and I always used to use that, but XP doesn't have Netbeui by default, it has to be installed separately.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041&sd=tech

The alternative is to install IPX/SPX compatible protocoll on both machines as a sure fire method of getting a working network, and it is in XP by default.

TerryM
26-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks Billy T & Terry Porritt. Between you I got it.

I had not bothered about NetBui before (although I had read you should) because I 'knew' XP did not support it. Besides I didn't know how to do it.

Now I have installed it, and all goes well.

Another satisfied customer.

TerryM