PDA

View Full Version : Quiet CPU and Quiet GPU YES!!!

memphis
26-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Bought and installed a Zalman 7000B-Alcu 92mm blue led cpu heatsink fan and a Zalman VF700 Cu video graphics card cooler on the weekend.

Best thing I have done for ages,fun wise,and more importantly was not hard to do.The manuals were good,had pictures as well.

Installed on a 3500 AMD and a Albatron GF 6800 which was the souce of the noise from my computer which I was thinking of moving from a Antec SLK 3000B into a Antec P180 because of the noise factor,but now it is so,so quiet I do not need to. :)

My case fans and northbridge heatsink fan are on a fan controller and so they are quiet as well.

The psu is a ocz 450w modstream with active pfc and has only one 120mm fan which is very quiet anyway.

I also have case matting as well.

I have: 2 x 120mm case fans
1 x 92mm hsf (cpu fan)
1 x 40mm northbridge fan
1 x 80mm gpu fan
1 x 120mm psu fan

For anybody wanting to quiet their computer I recommend these Zalman components as they did the job for me and it is so much better now.I can hear no noise now!! Yeah,after all these years,slience at last.

Can just hear air movement if I am close to the case not the fans unlike before when i could hear the fans whining.

Also both the cpu and gpu are running cooler as well. :thumbs:

Murray P
26-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Pure bliss, eh! :thumbs:

memphis
26-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh gosh yes,I keep looking down at the computer case and checking for noise.

Its made my day and I have been smiling all day like a mad clown thinking about it.

I now cant wait to turn it on and I dont need to turn the radio,tv,music on to drown out the fans.Like I used to.

I just wish I did this ages ago.

It makes the pc so much more enjoyable, I highly recommend to quieten your pc it is so worth while. :)

Its like the feeling you get when buying a new computer component that you know is going to make a big difference to your pc. :)

Jen
26-07-2005, 06:28 PM
I've recently added two 80mm fans (<21dba) to the rear of my case which immediately brought the CPU temp down 10 degs, so then decided to turn off the front 120mm case fan. But it I can't really hear much difference. I really think I need a fan controller to tweake the RPM's down a bit more. The next loudest component must be the CPU fan ... might need to look at those Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu again :p

Did the case matting have much noticable affect?

pctek
26-07-2005, 07:32 PM
I still can't find a blue 120mm case fan to replace TTs noisy one. :-(

Myth
26-07-2005, 07:42 PM
On the subject of quieting things down, (and sorry to hijack the thread temporarily) I currently have a PC Company case housing my computer.
My PSU (Enermax 420) sits side on with the bottom fan facing the cpu fan (stock standard fan with 2.6GHz Socket 478 P4)
I am currently modifying an old case where the PSU will sit straight, will this quieten things down a little, or quite a bit. I think (haven't actually eyeballed it) both fans run in the opposite direction to each other and are about 1" to 1 1/2" from each other.

Prescott
26-07-2005, 07:42 PM
why not paint it your self?

Murray P
26-07-2005, 08:33 PM
both fans run in the opposite direction to each other and are about 1" to 1 1/2" from each other.

Not good for cooling efficency, the fans are acting against each other. It's probably also setting up undesirable airflows, or lack thereof, in the case which will mean that other components are getting less air than they should.

Don't know if it will quiet things down if you change it for the better unless you have heat sensitive fan controllers on any of the fans, in which case the fans may well run slower and quieter if you change it.

Jen, you'd be much better, noise wise, having one 120mm fan in leiu of the two 80mm ones.

Jen
26-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Jen, you'd be much better, noise wise, having one 120mm fan in leiu of the two 80mm ones.I have just done a complete circle with that :p. I installed a so-called quiet 120mm front case fan to replace the bog standard 120mm iCute fan only to find it sounded louder. Installed 2x quiet rear case fans as well now and turned off the front fan. Didn't make much difference to the noise level, although my case temps have improved greatly with the rear fans :thumbs:

memphis
27-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Case matting I added at the same time as the Zalmans so I can not say 100% yes or no if it made a huge difference but I am sure it helped,I just did it as a friend suggested it would help deaden the noise abit.

As for a blue led 120mm fan I know the shop I go to in Chirstchurch has them,www.dragonpc.co.nz and I am (just a customer only.)

I highly recommend a fan controller as it is a easy way to turn your fans down for slience. :thumbs:

I highly recommand a front fan as it brings in cool fresh air into the case cooling the harddrives as it passes through the case.(touch your harddrives an hour after you have turned your pc on and you will be surprised how warm they get).It also replaces the hot air in the case from your components and the rear fan takes out the hot air, so you have a cycle of air moving in your case, cold air in, hot air out.

If you have clerance around your northbridge then you can replace the northbridge hsf for a northbridge heatsink (zalman,coolermaster make those) so that gets rid of a noisey fan.If you overclock you need to have a fan on the northbridge.

I can not replace my northbridge hsf for a northbridge heatsink as I do not have the clearance for one.If I did I would.I am looking to see if I can place a bigger fan(quiter one) near it to cool it instead of the tiny winey 40mm stock standard fan which I will take off but leave the tiny heatsink that came with it there.

120mm fans spin slower but move more air because of there size so (should be quiter.)So having 1 x 120mm at the front and 1 x 120mm at the back would be ideal on a fan controller.

About the psu either a psu that has a fan controller on it or thermally controlled or a psu with just one quiet 120mm fan would be the way to go.

:thumbs:

tweak'e
27-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I highly recommand a front fan as it brings in cool fresh air into the case cooling the harddrives as it passes through the case.(touch your harddrives an hour after you have turned your pc on and you will be surprised how warm they get).It also replaces the hot air in the case from your components and the rear fan takes out the hot air, so you have a cycle of air moving in your case, cold air in, hot air out.
unless you have a case restiction (or side vents depending on design) you don't actually need front fans. the rear fans suck air past the hardrives anyway. installing a front fan dosn't increase the airflow in any way. if you have side vents or top/side fans then things get tricky, it all depends on how you DESIGN the cooling system.

Myth
27-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Within this case of mine (the non-PC Company one) I have an 80mm front fan, and I will be relying mainly on the PSU twin fan setup to take care of exhaust. I also have a smaller 40 mm fan if I need it.

I will soon know if it works better, currently gkrellm tells me my CPU is operating at approx 37 degrees C (Pentium 4 2.6 GHz)
I do wish it would tell me my harddrive temps though

memphis
27-07-2005, 10:45 PM
I use HDD Health and HDD life to monitor my harddrives which are both free. :thumbs:

If you want to cool your harddrives then you will need a fan on them.Hence the front fan.

Otherwise you can have a fan on the side case panel blowing cold air in but you will get alot of noise from this from the fan itself and the components inside the case as you have now got a extra hole in you case letting the noise out.

If you have a fan on the top of the case it is usually taking hot air out, as hot air rises,so that makes sense,it being on the top is closer to you and thus it will be easier to hear then all of the other case fans and you now have another hole in your case letting noise out.

The more holes in your case for fans, the more noise gets out.

Personaly I would have only two case fans, one 120mm fan at the front cooling my harddrives and one 120mm at the back taking out the hot air.

What anybody else does is up to them and thats there right as its your computer you paid for it. :2cents:

As long as you have good cooling then you should not have any hardwear heat problems.Fingers crossed. :)

tweak'e
27-07-2005, 10:59 PM
If you want to cool your harddrives then you will need a fan on them.Hence the front fan you still missing the bus ;) in a good case you don't NEED a front case fan. the rear fans cool the hardrives just fine.

adding a front case fan will double the noise but only slightly increase the airflow. you will get better cooling (in a good case) with both fans at the rear (double the airflow).

memphis
28-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Quote:

Personaly I would have only two case fans, one 120mm fan at the front cooling my harddrives and one 120mm at the back taking out the hot air.

What anybody else does is up to them and thats there right as its your computer you paid for it.

As long as you have good cooling then you should not have any hardwear heat problems.Fingers crossed.

Quote:

adding a front case fan will double the noise but only slightly increase the airflow. you will get better cooling (in a good case) with both fans at the rear (double the airflow).

If you only have two case fans then I dont see how you manage to double the noise wherever you place the case fans.

1 at the front cold air in and 1 at the back hot air out = 2 case fans.

If you have 2 fans at the back blowing cold air in then that = 2 case fans.

You still have to have a fan to take the hot air out.

My noise problems are solved now and am just passing on my experience to others who may be looking at doing something about theirs,take it or leave it as you will. :thumbs: :2cents:

tweak'e
28-07-2005, 12:37 AM
If you have 2 fans at the back blowing cold air in then that = 2 case fans.

You still have to have a fan to take the hot air out.
totally incorrect. you keep thinking that all fans do is blow air. they also suck air ......more correctly move air. a fan will blow air out of the case and at the same time sucks air into the case. it moves air through the case.

sorry mayby it cause it late......

main point is for the same amount of noise, 2 rear fans (blowing out) (or 2 front fans blowing in) will move DOUBLE the amount of air through the case than what you will get with 1 fan in the rear and 1 in the front. (assuming no other blockages or inlets/oulets)

memphis
28-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Quote:

you keep thinking that all fans do is blow air. they also suck air ......more correctly move air.

Yes I know that.Thats way I have the front fan blowing in and the back fan blowing out. :groan:

Quote:

a fan will blow air out of the case and at the same time sucks air into the case.

Really I have not seen a fan doing that.Whatever will they think of next.Must be a super dopper new wize bang fan,from the Willy Wonker Factory Ah!! :rolleyes:

Quote:

sorry mayby it cause it late......

Yes your right you need your sleep. :p

What anybody else does is up to them and thats there right as its your computer you paid for it.

As long as you have good cooling then you should not have any hardwear heat problems.Fingers crossed.

Can we agree on that as long as you have good cooling who cares what your set up is.I have more important things to do right now,I have to go to work soon.... :thumbs: