PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Norton GoBack or similar? Fairly urgent request for information

annie
25-07-2005, 10:40 AM
I am in a bit of a pickle with recurrent data loss, and the quick and dirty solution would be to install Norton GoBack. I had a copy of the old version a few years ago before Norton took it over, and it was fantastic - any messup could be retrieved by restoring either the whole computer or just a few files. Has anyone used the Norton version? Any comments?
See next thread for details of problem I'm having if you're interested

willbry
25-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Yes Annie , it is first rate in restoring all sorts of lost materials but two thing you need to be aware of:
1. It takes up a big chunk of your hard drive
2. It is incompatible I believe with XP if you have that as your OS where you would use System Restore.
Otherwise i give it full marks
willbry

annie
25-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your reply - yes I do have XP, which of course is no use for restoring lost files. I did in fact do a system restore just in case, but no luck.
The Norton site says it is compatible with XP - what problems were you aware of with XP and system restore? I'm just about desparate enough to turn off system restore altogether.

Ninjabear
25-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I have Norton Ghost installed wit my windows Xp

Whenever the computer boots up the norton ghost menu appears and if you push the spacebar button within 6 seconds it will go back to a previous state

Theres another function called autoback where it saves a backup of your system evertime you restart the computer and after the storage is full ( i think u can set the limit of storage) it will prompt you saying that next time you reboot it will go back to a previous state

It does a good job certainly better than windows system restore.

Norton Ghost seems to save a backup everytime i restart,shutdown and everytime before i install an application

pctek
25-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I am in a bit of a pickle with recurrent data loss, and the quick and dirty solution would be to install Norton GoBack. I had a copy of the old version a few years ago before Norton took it over, and it was fantastic - any messup could be retrieved by restoring either the whole computer or just a few files. Has anyone used the Norton version? Any comments?
See next thread for details of problem I'm having if you're interested
What next thread? If its recurring - sounds like a hard drive problem. Even you if you find some prog you like to do this, if its failing then theres no guarantee you'll one day get your data back. I'd be saving stuff on some external media - external drive, or CDs/DVDs or something.

Cicero
25-07-2005, 07:05 PM
I have the old Go Back on my PC,which has XP and no probs at all.Works a treat.

annie
25-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for your replies, it's very useful information.
Sorry about the reference to the other thread I started - it is here: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=60165 - problem with Documents to Go for the Palm, which is a pretty temperamental piece of software at the best of times.