PDA

View Full Version : Video card prevents PC power-on

Tony
24-07-2005, 05:15 PM
In the course of some troubleshooting, I decided to swap video cards between two PCs. (A) & (B).

Video card from (A) -> (B), no trouble.

Video card from (B) -> (A), (A) will no longer power on. Press the power on button and nothing happens. Put the original video card back, power up no problem. In fact I discovered by accident (I would not have done this deliberately!!) if I remove the video card the PC powers up as soon as the card is removed, i.e it was in a "powering-up" state, and the video card was actively stopping it somehow. If I return the card to its original machine (B), it powers up OK. If I replace the original video card in (A) it powers up OK.

The card at issue is an ASUS V3800 AGP card - and yes, I was putting it in an AGP slot. :)

Ideas, anyone?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Is the mobo an ASUS mobo??

If it is, some Asus mobo AGP ports are pretty fussy (this may apply to other mobos).

Some will only accept 1.5v cards. NOT 3.3. Some ASUS mobos also have an LED beside/around the AGP port.

If this LED lights up, its warning u not to put that AGP card in.

Otherwise, it can damage the port / and or system.

Tony
24-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes it is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. I didn't notice an LED. How can I tell what the voltage of the card is? The card is a lot older than the mobo - would it be reasonable to expect the mobo to be backward-compatible with the card?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 06:17 PM
The LED is RED. It says AGP Warning. Is this on?

I've just downloaded the manual, and its between the AGP port and the first PCI port.

The AGP port only supports 1.5v. What was the old videocard? PCI or AGP??

Not too sure how you'll find out what the voltage of the new card is. But I would say it maybe 3.3v, which wont work in that AGP port, or if the old card was PCI, try selecting AGP under Integrated Peripherals / primary VGA BIOS, in the BIOS.

tweak'e
24-07-2005, 07:48 PM
if i remeber correctly the tnt2 cards are 3.3v tho some where 1.5 and 3.3. the 3.3v shouldn't be able to fit new pc's. not a good idea to run the really old cards on new pc's.

pctek
24-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes it is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. I didn't notice an LED. How can I tell what the voltage of the card is? The card is a lot older than the mobo - would it be reasonable to expect the mobo to be backward-compatible with the card?
Good on ASUS, its not starting to protect itself from this sort of thing. Nope, NOT backward compatible, at least not that far back.

Tony
24-07-2005, 09:53 PM
OK, I'm getting confused. Here is what I know:

PC (A):
Mobo is ASUS A7N8X deluxe.
Video card is NVidia GEForce FX5200. (AGP Card). This works OK in both machines.
SiSoft Sandra says:
Power management version is 2.0
AGP capabilities version 3.0

PC(B):
Mobo is ASUS P2B-F
Video card is ASUSTEK AGPV3800 SGRAM (AGP). This works OK in PC(B) but stops PC(A) powering up.
SiSoft Sandra says:
Power management version is 1.0
AGP capabilities version 2.0

Is Sandra referring above to the capabilities of the AGP slot (i.e. the mobo) or the card?

In PC(A): if there is a warning LED in the possie described by Speedy, it was definitely not on while I was trying this all out. (I don't have the case open right now.)

So we do have a difference of version numbers, but is that enough to account for my problem?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I would say because the P2B-F supports 1.5 and 3.3v AGP cards, and the A7N8X doesnt.

As it says in the manual, only 1.5v AGP cards, will work in the AGP slot.

And the P2b-f only supports 2x AGP whereas the A7N8X only supports 8x.

There's not much u can do about it.

Its just not compatible with the V3800. The V3800 must be 3.3v only.

Tony
24-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Right, I understand. Fortunately I don't seem to have broken anything.

Thanks everyone for all their input. :thumbs: