PDA

View Full Version : Prefectcher

Jaybee
24-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Anyone changed the setting in the registry . On the new version of windows 'Vista' to be released next year, they have a new programme called "superfetcher" which is meant to speed up the cache so that pages load quicker. In the Old XP there is "Prefetcher" Which at present is set a value of 3. By setting it to 1 the pages load more quickly. Here is the method. As far as I know it works well.
HKEY\local machinecurrent\system\current controlset\control\session manager\memory manager\prefector parameters. enable prefetcher = 1
I would appreciate comments

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 01:14 PM
There's 3 values

1 means to prefetch boot processes only.
2 means prefetch applications only
3 means prefetch both (make sure you're using this)

If you have a very low amount of RAM you will want to disable prefetching

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher]

Set the value to either 0-Disable. I'll just leave my at 3.

Only reason why pages here go slow sometimes, is coz I'm on dialup. BUT they load pretty fast at the mo.

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Prefetching is for applications, not websites. Therefor the speed of your internet connection is irrelivant.

Rather its the load-time from when you click on the Firefox icon to when its fully loaded and on-screen that may be decreased by prefetching.

FoxyMX
24-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Chill is dead right - it is the loading of programs/apps that Prefetch speeds up.

I prefer to add /Prefetch:1 to the end of the path in the Target field in a program's shortcut.

For example, in my Opera shortcut I have the following in the Target field:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" /Prefetch:1

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2005, 12:10 AM
http://bink.nu/Article4556.bink

To quote the bink.nu website:
I checked with Windows internals guru Mark Russinovich, he said this won't work, "SuperFetch" string isn't even in the kernel (check with strings.exe).

b1naryb0y
26-07-2005, 01:11 AM
I think I'll try it just so I can experience the placebo effect :p

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2005, 12:31 PM
w00t! I tried it and now my pc is jigahurtz fasta! :D

</sarcasm>

SurferJoe46
26-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Got a neat little prefetch cleaner here that you can add to the desktop for instant removal of the Prefetch files. They get pretty heavy after a while, depending on the value or if it's set at the default for total count.

Anyway, Start NOTEPAD by the following clicks:

>START>RUN and enter NOTEPAD, then >OK

In UNTITLED NOTEPAD, type:

Del c:\windows\prefetch\*.*/q

then >FILE, SAVE AS and in the file name box type:

c:\windows\delpf.bat

now >SAVE

GOTO the DESKTOP and RIGHT CLICK >NEW >SHORTCUT

type in:

c:\windows\delpf.bat

>NEXT

Now, just rename the shortcut by hovering on it and RIGHT> RENAME to whatever you want it to say. I call mine: PREFETCH CLEANER

If you want, you can also change the Icon too. Just hover over the new folder, and RIGHT>, PROPERTIES> and find the CHANGE ICON and >

Pick one out from the scrolling window or BROWSE to find another you want better. They exist all over the place, and if you goto an area that has no icons to use, you'll just see blanks or Windows will tell you there aren't any in where you're looking. It'sd kinda an Easter Egg hunt. Have fun!

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Ccleaner cleans the prefetch folder, or u can add the folder/s to Options / custom folders in Ccleaner.

SurferJoe46
26-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I know, but I can use this pf cleaner without going thru CC, like when I am in the middle of a long day and don't want to go all the way with CC

........................ Just a helper here.....

SurferJoe46
26-07-2005, 04:28 PM
............and besides, it's kiinda fun writing a batch file and using it too...it's a "guy" thing.

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2005, 04:32 PM
You dont need to do this all that often, once in a blue moon would be my advice.

The reason for a Prefetcher is cache, and with you clearing the cache, it doesnt do much good.

In other words, if you're doing that every day you may as well just disable the prefetcher and save on HDD space