PDA

View Full Version : Improved gaming

kbappl
23-07-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a MSI Motherboard 845PE,AGP 4X,512 Ram ,2.4 pent4 Northwood 533 and radeon 9800pro. Which would be the best direction to head to improve Gaming performance. Would replace cpu to 3.0 improve much or should I bite the bullet and get a new motherboard

techie
23-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a MSI Motherboard 845PE,AGP 4X,512 Ram ,2.4 pent4 Northwood 533 and radeon 9800pro. Which would be the best direction to head to improve Gaming performance. Would replace cpu to 3.0 improve much or should I bite the bullet and get a new motherboard
Bite them bullet and get a whole new PC... :D

gibler
23-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Alas the 9800 pro isn't cutting the mustard these days. I'd get a Nvidia 6800 GT instead.
You want a gig of memory too.

CPU is a little down on grunt these days but it may be okay if you just add the memory and put ina new video card.

A new CPU I'd get would be someting like the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and then you are lloking at PCI-Express vid cards rather than AGP ones.

Metla
23-07-2005, 06:25 PM
hmmm....The only games that will tax that system are a few that have been released in the last year,and even then only when run at the highest settings.

If your struggling with games then its more likely that you have a badly configured system that just needs some resources freed up (done by ditching the craop out of startup,dekleting nortons if you have it,reducing the size of teh reg,and cleaning all flotsem and jetsom files from teh system.

The cpu is fine,even ones of that era have plenty of grunt for modern games (seeing as they have concentrated om flashiness rather then advanced game mechanics)

pctek
23-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Metla - you're supposed to SELL people new PCs!

Myth
24-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Metla - you're supposed to SELL people new PCs!...but at least hes putting customer concerns ahead of the dollar sign...

chiefnz
24-07-2005, 01:27 PM
I have a MSI Motherboard 845PE,AGP 4X.
I think that may be where your problem lies. If it's the motherboard that can only go up to AGP 4X then yeah I would consider getting a new mobo. In fact I would upgrade the mobo and maybe also get another 512MB of RAM. In all honesty there isn't anything wrong with your system. It is adequate but if you are a gamer then a CPU and graphics card upgrade would be things to consider in the future.

Cheers

chiefnz

Metla
24-07-2005, 04:37 PM
4x agp won't hinder the video card in any major way, anyone with a similar video card can experiment by restricting it to 4xagp and running a benchmark, if there is any difference it will something so small as to be impossible to distinguish from a normal variant (meaning run a benchmark 5 times and you will most probably get 5 different but very close results)