PDA

View Full Version : Firewire

Poppa John
23-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Hello All....... Could someone explain "Firewire" for me please. What is it, what does it do? Is this in my computer already, or do I need another "Part" or Card? Thanks PJ

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2005, 05:43 PM
It can be used for digital video cameras. For transferring the video/audio to a hdd, so u can edit it. And then burn it to dvd.

It is also used for Ipods.

It depends on what the brand/model of your motherboard is, on whether its onboard or not. BUT u can get a PCI card with firewire on it.

Here's some more info here about Firewire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

godfather
23-07-2005, 06:37 PM
If my memory of your PC hardware is correct, you are unlikely to have a firewire port PJ.

You would need to buy an internal PCI firewire card if you have any spare PCI slots left.
That nice computer man you know should sort it out if you need one.

Firewire is also referred to as an "IEEE 1394" port.

Its a fast interface port, not that much different in speed to USB2.0, but totally different in physical socket type and voltage and signal protocol.

Poppa John
23-07-2005, 08:33 PM
If my memory of your PC hardware is correct, you are unlikely to have a firewire port PJ.

You would need to buy an internal PCI firewire card if you have any spare PCI slots left.
That nice computer man you know should sort it out if you need one.

Firewire is also referred to as an "IEEE 1394" port.

Its a fast interface port, not that much different in speed to USB2.0, but totally different in physical socket type and voltage and signal protocol.

OK gf.. Is there any advantage in a firewire set up, over USB 2? PJ

kwyjibo
23-07-2005, 08:37 PM
OK gf.. Is there any advantage in a firewire set up, over USB 2? PJ

not anymore, there was a brief time when firewire had considerably faster datat transfer but USB has caught up. Firewire was initially for macs i believe so you see it a lot more on apple devices such as the ipod... but as i said, it aint so good anymore, even ipods have usb interface.

Metla
23-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Firewire has a controller built into it ,which garentees a constant transfer of data,which means faster transfer speeds.

Firewire is considerably better then USB2 (though they are both based on teh same protocol) and faster no matter what the speed rating.

This is easily demonstrated by moving large files to and from an external harddrive.

Poppa John
24-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks All.......... This is something we would like, but not really need, so it is now in the 10year plan. PJ

Graham L
24-07-2005, 03:10 PM
It's only useful if you have a use for it. If you haven't got anything which uses it, you don't need it.

Poppa John
24-07-2005, 03:14 PM
It's only useful if you have a use for it. If you haven't got anything which uses it, you don't need it.

Yup. PJ :rolleyes:

Misty
30-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Firewire has a controller built into it ,which garentees a constant transfer of data,which means faster transfer speeds.

Firewire is considerably better then USB2 (though they are both based on teh same protocol) and faster no matter what the speed rating.

This is easily demonstrated by moving large files to and from an external harddrive.

Presumably then, Metla, it would be better for what I do on a consistent basis - that is to record streaming audio from internet radio, cut it into tracks, and then transfer the result to my iPod. Transferring music from PC would be better done by firewire than by USB2 ?? Or are you thinking in general of bigger files ?
Misty :)

Metla
30-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Generally larger files, In the GB's rather then the MB's.....

Misty
30-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Generally larger files, In the GB's rather then the MB's.....

Thanks Metla - am rather glad of that as it is one thing less to learn and fiddle with. :thumbs: There is so much I have to learn and I seem to be rather slow !! :waughh:
Misty

Oggy
30-07-2005, 11:58 AM
You can get a firewire card for $33 from Dick Smiths. Add a cable for $19 (make sure you get one with the right pin configuration for your device ... 4 or 6 pin) and you're away.
That's what I'll be doing sometime in the next few days as USB didn't cut the mustard transferring from my daughter's digital camcorder.

Metla
30-07-2005, 12:11 PM
You can buy a card with cable and ulead software for less then that.

Poppa John
31-07-2005, 06:49 PM
You can buy a card with cable and ulead software for less then that.

So how much then??? Does one end of the cablefit the camera, or What?? PJ

bartsdadhomer
31-07-2005, 07:10 PM
So how much then??? Does one end of the cablefit the camera, or What?? PJ

here for one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Other-PCI-cards/auction_photo-32070793/permanent-0/photoid-10790961/p-1/title-%2424%21+Brand+New+IEEE+1394+Firewire+Card+%26+Cab le.htm)
Can't guarantee the quality though
You'll also have to check the pin assignment on the camera matches the cable you buy