PDA

View Full Version : STOP: 0x00000027 RDR_FILE_SYSTEM

Agent_24
22-07-2005, 11:51 PM
While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly no reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically vanish!)

So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this message:

RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
STOP: 0x00000027

With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.

Seached google and I found this, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US) on microsoft's site (for windows 2000 though) which says this:

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the computer is using the Single Instance Storage (SIS) service that Remote Install Service (RIS) uses. SIS looks at the name of file systems that are registering/unregistering to determine if they are NTFS. If a particular file system that does not have a name attempts to register/unregister during shutdown, you may experience this problem.

Now, I have pretty much no idea what that is meant to mean, but I think it might have something to do with the DVD drive (which is working again).

I have never seen this bluescreen before, does it mean anything particularly bad, or is it just windows being a moron? :help:

pctek
23-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Its supposedly to do with Easy CD Creator. And it can also be fixed by one of the service packs - are you using Win2k or winxp?

Agent_24
23-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm using Windows XP SP2, and I don't have Easy CD Creator because I don't like it. I prefer Nero, which I have version 6 of (5 isn't compatible with Sp2 apparently, so there should be no worries there - and I've had 6 for a long time)

This is the first time I've ever seen this error, and I have no idea why it would just come up now.... :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2005, 12:13 PM
What are u using thats made by Symantec??

It has something to do with a Symantec program.

Agent_24
23-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I have Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro, Norton AntiVirus 2005 and Norton Internet Security 2005.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2005, 02:08 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Internet Security is the prob.

Version 2004/05 are pretty buggy. I take it the AV is part of Internet Security? Not a separate install?

Yer dont use CD Creator / well directcd with SP2. It used to work fine till I installed SP2. Then directcd started making coasters, so I wiped it and use Nero now.

Agent_24
23-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Yep, my version of Norton AntiVirus is integrated into Norton Internet Security.

Agent_24
24-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Ok, on shutdown last night it did the same thing with the same file... and I just realised that the first time was when I was restarting after a norton update...

So maybe the update got corrupted or something?? is it possible to roll back updates with norton or suchlike?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Well u could try system restore and go back a few days/weeks.

BUT then you'll have to update/download the Norton updates again.

Other than that, I would send Symantec an email with this problem.

I'll post this prob in a Symantec newsgroup. See if anyone has the same prob.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 05:12 PM
How much ram have u got Agent? As this error can appear if there's something wrong with the ram.

Agent_24
24-07-2005, 05:37 PM
At the moment I have 512MB, which seems to be good enough for most things.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Well thats depends on how many programs / processes are running now.

And how many programs u run at the same time.

Agent_24
24-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Well the amount of background programs hasn't really changed much, and besides, windows shouldn't be using too much memory when it's saying 'Windows is shutting down'

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Just got a reply in the newsgroups.

If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option.
SYMEVENT.SYS is due to Norton products.

I shall suggest you to either delete the Symevent files from the following locations:-

C:\Program Files\Symantec
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers(Symevent.sys)

Now download and install the latest Symevent installer from the following

link:-
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/symevnt/symevnt.html

Agent_24
26-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the information, though I just received an email from symantec (I sent them one, after I saw your post which suggested it) and they told me to do pretty much the same thing as you have just said now and It all appears to be working fine ... :)

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Good to hear its working now :)

vkiller
23-03-2006, 11:00 AM
While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly no reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically vanish!)

So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this message:

RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
STOP: 0x00000027

With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.

Seached google and I found this, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US) on microsoft's site (for windows 2000 though) which says this:

Now, I have pretty much no idea what that is meant to mean, but I think it might have something to do with the DVD drive (which is working again).

I have never seen this bluescreen before, does it mean anything particularly bad, or is it just windows being a moron? :help:
I have faced a similar issue wherein i tried copying files from a CD that was burnt under Win98 using adaptec that was a part of HP printing software. Now i am trying to copy data from that CD to a new Dell Dimension 3100 running Media Center 2005, it gives this stop error code 0x00000027 RDR FILE SYSTEM.
FYI, the CDs are formatted using Adaptec in Win98 before data is copied onto the disc and I just had a HDD replacement with a factory image of the OS and applications.
SOS!!!!