PDA

View Full Version : Have you got one of these in your workshop.

john r
22-07-2005, 09:03 PM
I have a Seagate ST94811A 2.5 notebook hard drive here I am trying to recover data from,it failed to boot when in the notebook and a replacement has restored the notebook to working condition.
I was wondering if a member has a hard drive of the same model that also is faulty but ok to use for removal of the circuit board,and try and restore this one to a condition that will allow me to download the files using a notebook hard drive to USB adapter.When I power it up hooked up to the adapter I can here it spinning but can't get to see anything on it.I have tried the adapter with a known good hard drive and it worked no worries.
I have read a post on the net where someone swapped the circuit board over and got his to work,I knows its a long shot but hey it was worth a post to you guys,
cheers,
John.

Agent_24
22-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Does the bios etc detect it? When you say you cannot see anything on it, do you mean windows shows it up as a freshly formatted drive?

Running a data recovery program may be all you need, a similar thing happened to me.

john r
22-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Sorry,I didn't explain myself very well,I have bypassed the drive startup by using a 2.5 enclosure to power up the drive,unless I replace the circuit board on the drive as a lucky fix it is useless,
cheers,
John.

Myth
22-07-2005, 10:52 PM
As an idea, why not ask at your local tech to see if they have any. I know the techs at my course keep various harddrive circuit boards for the same reason.

john r
22-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't use one as I do all my own work,normally I wouldn't bother but there is some stuff on it I need,
Cheers,
John.

Murray P
23-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I think you will need an exact match, logic board, revision and firmware. You might get lucky.