PDA

View Full Version : bigger is better? - Monitor size

beetle
22-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok i have a range of monitor sizes and have been given the permission to get a new monitor.
And it was suggested i get a 19inch????

why would i need one that big?
What size do most others have? and the price range is? i like the CMV brand so most probably ill get that again.

i like the depth of the LCD, and have nearly got all my machines with LCD's now, purely because of space saving mostly.

Any ideas from others? why instead of a 17 inch i should get a 19? lol
Remember im not big on games, but i do photos, and assignments mostly.

Thanxs
:nerd:
beetle

bob_doe_nz
22-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Pictures and spreadsheets are the only thing that I can really see a 19-inch monitor would be good for really, not unless you're planning on doing some DVD's :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I use 2 17' CRTS here.

AOC and Viewsonic. I spose you can get a higher resolution, and its not as hard to see text. Like if u had a 14-15 inch monitor.

Theyre not too bad for watching DVD's on either. At least u see the picture!

Whatever u get dont get a interlaced monitor!

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 08:39 PM
well the old fella uses a 21" crt and its not to big. all comes down to $$$.

Metla
22-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I use a 19" CRT,to be honest it makes little difference to me wether Im using a 17"CRT screen (as I am now) or the 19 CRT...

As for LCD's,after using a 19" i was in two minds about it,alternativly blown away by the sheer size and beauty of it (must have run 3dmark 4 or 5 times just for the the viewing pleasure) and aggrevated by having to look around the screen trying to find where I was (reading).

Best bet is to let your eyes do the walking so to speak and call into one of the evil inc shops and check one out.....

somebody
22-07-2005, 08:49 PM
The larger screens take some time to get used to. I used a 17" LCD a while back, and it was incredibly hard to get used to because you had to look all over the screen. Reading stuff got so irritating I had to shrink the window size. Now that I'm used to it, it's great.

I'd save money and get a 15" or 17" LCD screen. They're nice and cheap now.

beetle
22-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Who stocks them that size then????????

I have not been in another puter (<large brand name here>)shop in ....um a long time.....cant remember last time......

I currently have a Veiwsonic 15inch / LCD, a CMV 17 inch LCD, and a 17 inch CRT that nearly reachers from the front of the desk to the back of the desk..... lol blasted thing.

and as for the DVD bit id have to um buy a DVD burner / player i spose...... :dogeye: oh why didnt i get one before???? :p

LOL

Thanxs guys, i think monitor size is not really a biggy, just the width / depth of the thing on the desk is the issue in the long run somehow....

;)
beetle

bachelorno1
22-07-2005, 10:10 PM
If your pc/graphics card can support it, I find that for many everyday computer tasks, having two average screens side by side is superior to one big one. Try it and see for yourself :waughh: Highly recommended for laptop users.

pctek
22-07-2005, 10:22 PM
You wouldn't think 2 measly inches would make a difference but oh yes, it does. (bit like men really)
I recently went from a 17" CRT to a 19" CRT, then again I do play games and while looking at the XP desktop isn't that exciting on the new screen, games are another thing. Wouldn't go back to 17" now.
However LCDs are different in that they have a native resolution and it is best to run it in that. Which means it will be all small and squint making. People say you can increase the icon size to get around that but I hate that. 1024 is enough for me.

Shortcircuit
22-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Slightly bigger is usually better :-) I couldn't live with anything less than 17" now and it gives the eyes some exercise moving around the screen!

Resolution is an issue, you can change font size/DPI icon size etc with a lot of fiddling around in Windows, but it seems a lot of web sites still live in the '800x600' age... on this screen the smilies look like dots, there's a lot of blank real estate on the page and there's not much you can do about that.

JJJJJ
23-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I've used everything from 12" to 19" and the nineteen is the only one I've felt comfortable with.
But it's not so much the size as the quality. I consider a video card is more important than monitor size.

beetle
25-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh well i went to that dreadful place today to have a look at 19 inch monitors...... start price from $845. for the low quality ones the man said.

I asked the man about what refresh rate hertz it runs at......and he said 8???
lovely crisp clear and to die for looking monitors......

they do have wide screen monitors too? 19 wide especially for DVD playing.
i didnt look at the price on that one...... i nearly laughed when i saw the price of a nice 19 inch monitor price on the top shelf.....$3000, something.....
cant remember what make and models they were but very nice.

so i can see the wish list just got longer.......:D

beetle

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2005, 05:18 PM
http://qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?102917

Gets me thinking that unless its a high-quality brand, you'd be paying too much at $845

IIRC a recent PCW had reviews on 19" LCDs

Metla
25-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Thats the beauty of Evil Inc, dazzle you with a smile and flashy display, gorge your wallet while your still encased in that warm gooey moment.

I have built up an aversion to it, start feeling sick the minute I step foot in the places, Even before I see the slack faced eyes a-glow locals signing up piles of junk for 3 years (no interest for 6 months,no deposit)

KiwiTT_NZ
25-07-2005, 05:44 PM
I use a 19" LCD.

pctek
25-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh well i went to that dreadful place today to have a look at 19 inch monitors...... start price from $845. for the low quality ones the man said.

beetle
Don't you live in the same city as Metla? Why didn't you go see his shop?

Metla
25-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Because I told her to check out a 19" LCD in person, I don't hold them as stock.

Though I will be happy to sell her a low end unit for $844...........:waughh:

Jen
25-07-2005, 06:26 PM
It is always better to see a working model of the LCD monitor you are thinking of purchasing. Even better if you can compare it side by side with other models. I recently purchased another 17" LCD (a cheap CMV CT-712A), and made sure I saw it working before I paid for it. Didn't want to gamble on having dead/fixed/bright pixels etc. Another trick to try is to set the demo machine to hide all desktop icons and the taskbar, and then view the screen with black, red, blue, white, green and yellow set as the background wallpaper colour. You get to see how even the colours are and faulty pixels should be more obvious.

Metla
25-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Surely you paid the tiny extra for the 3 year zero-pixel cover?

Jen
25-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Wasn't offered that. I got told they come with a warrenty that allows a certain amount of fixed/bright pixels (think 4) before it becomes a warrenty issue.

I decided that I'd rather check out the monitor myself than to risk finding 4 dead pixels. They weren't too happy with my insistance on seeing it working, but I told them I wasn't going to purchase a monitor sight unseen with the risk of having up to 4 dud pixels in an obvious position.

The monitor turned out to be perfect, no dud pixels. Not bad for just over $300.

Metla
25-07-2005, 06:41 PM
3 year zero pixel cover costs about an additional $40, well worth it.

Though that price is dirt cheap,lets hope Bettle doesn't see it.....muhahahahaha.

Edit.

I get mine in on a per item basis so get the opurtunity to select the model/models with the full warrenty. Usually they have 2 identical available with the warrenty being the only difference. This obviously is impossible to do if someone has them in stock already and only got in the ones lacking a real warrenty.

Personally I won't touch a unit without the zero pixel cover, One customer who had a stuck pixel in their new 17" LCD was enough for me.

beetle
25-07-2005, 09:06 PM
LOL

Im always told...cheap means nasty......doesnt it mets???? LOL

Yeah well i havnt managed to kill anything on my monitor yet so ill stick with me warranty.......
I still really like the idea of a 19........:D

and it wasnt my monitor who had a stuck pixel...........

:thumbs:

beetle

Metla
25-07-2005, 10:36 PM
No, It wasn't your monitor that had the stuck pixel, Though it was the very first LCD i had ever sold.And it was expensive,and it had a 7 pixel policy for return.

I managed to send it back as unwanted stock, The warrenty card was missing from the package so I gathered it wasn't the first time a retailer had returned it.

Anyhow, I don't touch the brand in question anymore.

And truth betold I am yet to see a screen with a stuck pixel since that initial sale.

Elephant
25-07-2005, 11:14 PM
As I talk to you I am looking at a 15" LCD 150B4 monitor.

Before this I used a 17" CRT

Quite happy with the one I now have.

Screen real estate is good. I know that two of my clients have wanted 17" and that was supplied.

Philips was the brand.

beetle
25-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Ok new question..............
I asked mum and now im asking you lot.

With your monitors, do you have them set up to use full screen for each window?

And if i was to get a 19 would scrolling be less for each window open or nearly hopefully nonexistent.
what is the refresh rate setting for a monitor that large usually?

and some one else said txt size is then an issue??? hard to read?

:D
beetle

Metla
25-07-2005, 11:48 PM
The resolution would be the same native setting as your current 17",so reading shouldn't be an issue,and you can always set the minimum font size.

LCD's dont have a refresh rate, they only redraw the pixels when something onscreen has changed (and thats measured in milliseconds,thats where the 8 comes into play from the salesman at Evil Inc)

Anyhow,sounds like your sold on the idea :p

Shortcircuit
25-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I have mine set to 'open all windows full screen'. Scrolling is not a problem as you are still scrolling the same amount of page... just bigger, and you can change the number of lines scrolled in mouse properties.

I think the 'refresh rate' is much the same for all LCDs... not sure about CRTs though, they can vary.

text size is an issue with larger screens that run at higher resolutions ie 1280x 1024. If you think about it that means the text and other parts of the page are (almost) 60% the size of a screen running at 800x600 and a 19" screen is only about 20% bigger than a 15" screen. You can change text size in Windows... DPI settings and font sizes to help overcome this, there are also different font sizes you can use in browsers like Firefox. The hard part is that you can't change the way a lot of web pages look as some are 'designed' for 800x600 resolution.

My advice is get a bigger screen, new glasses and sit real close for that 'cinematic experience' :)

beetle
26-07-2005, 12:00 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ = Mets = :) = poor beetle.... :( :p

hahahahaha

beetle :D

bkf11
01-08-2005, 06:08 PM
OK, My :2cents: is this:
resolution of almost all 17 and 19" LCDs is the same (1024x1280) so you don't see more, you just see it bigger. If you have bad eyesight or want to watch DVDs from the couch, get 19". If just working on computer, stick with 17.

Alternatives are:
widescreen 17" - good for DVDs
two 17" monitors - see more
Big ar$e 20" + monitors which have higher resolution (1200x1600) - see more AND bigger (& $$$)
Then there's the ludicrous option - Viewsonic VP2290 23" LCD 3840 X 2400 resolution $12131.44 http://www.pcgear.co.nz/customer/product.php?productid=97620

hehe. I want the last one!
Benjamin

godfather
01-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I have 2 x 19" CMV's with zero dead pixel warranties, running as dual monitors.
Another running as a single monitor on another PC.

~$600 incl GST each.

Service is only from the distributors and is horrific to deal with if anything goes wrong, but the monitors themselves seem fine.

1280 x 1024 resolution (2560 x 1024 effective for the dual setup).

Winston001
01-08-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm currently staring at a Viewsonic 19" LCD with 8ms refresh. Very nice. Not cheap, about $830. But I'm happy I took the plunge. Probably overkill. :D

bizzack
03-08-2005, 01:49 AM
hahaha so much chatter about monitor size... i thought it would be pretty straight forward? If u can afford it dont go for anything less than 19". I'm in graphic design studies and we use heaps of different computers, mac, pc's, linux machines and they all have dif size screens, from 15 through to 21 and there's nothing better then going from a game boy sized screen straight to the cinema on a nice 21". You are after a flat pannel right? so it wouldnt matter if the screen was large, space wouldnt be a problem... I use a 19" at home and after it died I had to buy another one recently, I couldnt go back to using anything smaller than 19" I'd go blind... but then again I do graphics so I need lots of space on screen, iits great for pics of course, more space = larger viewing area = better view of the pic... i thought it'd be pretty straight fwd... I actually prefer CRT for graphics, and you can get them cheap as now... but they are producing great LCD's for graphics now if you got the doe....anyways, back to postmodern poster design :(

beetle
04-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Well i went and got that article / magazine about monitors in pc world.

and looking at the pictures i dont see any CMV's???? but they made mention of them............. in the polyveiw bit. is this the same company or a sister company of CMV ?

Im confused by the comment in that article about it. ( and probably confused the person i was asking about this brand switch?)

any ideas on why they did this brand and not CMV?

having one of those i wish i never said anything moments..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
beetle

Metla
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Same company.(the company is Polyview,CMV is one of their brands)

2 different product lines, The Polyview branded screens are generally priced a little cheaper.