PDA

View Full Version : I need to format my HD???!!!

SMs
22-07-2005, 08:18 PM
I saw the techie has a problem but it sems over my head.
Using XP Home I went into safe mode, typed 'Format C:' said yes and was told Format cannot run as volume is in use by another. Would I like to force a dismount. I said yes and format c: gave me the same answer. My comp. keeps wanting to log on to the net against my wishes. I have tried recovery and that don't work. A little help would be appreciated. Remember, if you give me good advice I will not be able to get back to say thankyou for a while
Regards
John

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 08:23 PM
You can't as u found out format in Windows.

U need the XP CD.

And then u have to go into the BIOS, change the bootdisk to cd. And boot from the CD. Wait for the message press a key, then press a key, (once it reboots DON'T press a key again, leave it. Or it'll go round in circles).

Then it'll go to the setup screen. And then u can format / reinstall from here. Then follow the instructions from then on.

Elephant
22-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I saw the techie has a problem but it sems over my head.
Using XP Home I went into safe mode, typed 'Format C:' said yes and was told Format cannot run as volume is in use by another. Would I like to force a dismount. I said yes and format c: gave me the same answer. My comp. keeps wanting to log on to the net against my wishes. I have tried recovery and that don't work. A little help would be appreciated. Remember, if you give me good advice I will not be able to get back to say thankyou for a while
Regards
John

I think we need to know why you want to format the C: drive. If you only have a problem with a dial up connection there are better ways of dealing with this problem. Spybot and Adaware are two examples. Have you got a recovery disk as the above post suggests or have you a complete Win XP home disk?

If you have a full version of WinXP home you can change the boot order in the BIOS and boot off that and reinstall Windows and format the hard drive in the process.

More info needed to make an informed choice.

SMs
22-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks Speedy but I am afraid you will have to be more specific, I tried to follow your instructions but I never got a command promp to format. Maybe I am pressing wrong buttons.
J

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 09:38 PM
You dont get a command prompt. Once u boot from the cd, it'll ask u to press a key. You press a key it goes to the setup screen which is blue....

Watch the boot/post screen for this message. BUT only press a key once.

What kind of XP CD do you have? Full/Retail/OEM, or haven't you got a cd??

pctek
22-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks Speedy but I am afraid you will have to be more specific, I tried to follow your instructions but I never got a command promp to format. Maybe I am pressing wrong buttons.
J
He was specific.
However I would have tried running a few antispyware programs first.

SMs
22-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi speedy, it's an upgrade that includes Service pack 1, version 2002
J

SMs
22-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I have ben all through the grind of AdAware SpyBot and thoroughly checked with Antivirus. I have been trying to stop the auto logging on for months