PDA

View Full Version : Memory test fail

Myth
22-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Finally got RAM for my linux file server, connected it all and got the above error.
Disconnected all drives rebooted .. same
Connected floppy, changed RAM (to known good sticks) .. same
Cleared CMOS, downloaded and checked mobo (MSI 6718 - Socket 370) manual for jumper settings .. still same
Quadruple checked memory sitting correctly, rebooted .. same

Incidentally, it shows that error, then says to enter setup press del or press F1 to carry on.... pressing F1 works if machine is cold (first start); other than that, neither key works.... even on another keyboard.

I figure its the motherboard, what can I do (incidentally, if I can get through to floppy drive I have BIOS upgrade floppy in there waiting:))
Don't want to have to find another 370 mobo (unless you have a free one)

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 08:40 PM
what chipset does the mobo use and what ram are you useing in it?

Myth
22-07-2005, 09:12 PM
As far as chipset, I'm not 100% sure (no markings on North or South bridges)
The only writing on the mobo was the MS 6178 (sorry got numbers mixed in first post) .. I used the MSI site to find BIOS upgrade.
Currently has 400 MHz Celeron.
Was working with 466 MHz Celeron.
RAM ... PC100 32MB and/or 64MB and/or PC133 128MB (combinations of these, or solo)

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 09:20 PM
its an 810 chipset....can be touchy on what ram will run on it. don't use high density ram. use 8 chip per side and possibly double sided as well (16 chip).

Myth
22-07-2005, 10:05 PM
All the RAM I am using is 8 chip per side... the 32MB RAM is doublesided (both are PC100), the 64MB (PC100) and the 128MB (PC133) are both single-sided

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 10:42 PM
what FSB setting are you useing ?

Myth
22-07-2005, 10:57 PM
There is a jumper on the mobo for overclocking (the jumper sets the speed from 66MHZ to 150MHz) currently this is set for 66MHz. As far as the CPU is concerned, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't managed to get to BIOS yet. However as I reset the BIOS I would say it is the default setting.

What I don't get, is that with the 466 it booted perfectly, now it gives the memory fail erro. Also it says something about CAS should be set to 3 (or similar) which is one bug the BIOS update is supposed to get rid of

Myth
23-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Any/all advice appreciated

Bump

tweak'e
23-07-2005, 10:55 AM
all i can sugest at the mo is to use just one ram stick (it must be in ram slot 1) and see if you can get into the bios. you might have to manually set the ram settings.

also it wouldn't hurt to try another cpu (or under clock the existing) in case its a cpu problem.

JJJJJ
23-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Why do you persist with Linux?? Windows doesn't behave like that. :lol:

Graham L
23-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Jack, you and Windows in cooperation do "behave like that". :)

But he's not getting as far as Linux. :badpc: He can't get past the POST to access the BIOS.

Tazz: just start with one stick of memory. If the memory is "known" to be good, you shouldn't get a "catastrophic" failure like this. The POST doesn't do a memory test. It checks for presence of memory. It writes a location then reads it back. It should get all bits on (or all bits off; there may be a convention or it might depend on the board manufacturer's buffer type) if there's no memory at that location. If it gets back what it wrote, it says that area's OK. If it gets a "wrong" value, it can say that area is bad.

I'm at a loss how it can let you continue from a cold start, but give up if you do a warm restart.

Myth
23-07-2005, 03:28 PM
OK, update...
Have discovered that the floppy drive is screwed (managed to get the comp to boot Win98 CD, then wouldn't pick up bootfloppy to aid or format). That kinda killed the rest of the setup as neither the CD nor floppy can format the drive in FAT32. Also means BIOS cannot be flashed (unless I can make a boot cd with Win 98 files and BIOS update... CD-Rs a dime a dozen .. might try it, got nothing to lose :))
Have discovered if I leave machine off for 20+ seconds, then reboot it will run up to cd and start installing files (on Win 2000 SP4)
The CDROM drive was already suspect so thats probably whats killing the setup on 2000, and maybe also lack of file reading on 98.
Linux (have tried FC3, then Knoppix live CD) starts to install/run.... then I get kernel error (something about ... tried to kill init).

I think I will have to call it a day on the server... am purchasing a CD Burner for partners comp this week, will put her ROM in the server.
Looking for free going floppy drive.