PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem with partition on 2nd HDD

braindead
20-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi all,
On my Video PC (XP Home SP2) I have a second 120 GB HDD (Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm). There are two logical partitions on this drive - one larger one for data storage and a smaller one of 40GB for storing Ghost images of all HDDs on this system.

When I look at this HDD2 in Partition Magic, the partitions are visible and without errors. They're also visible in my file manager.

The problem is, when I boot using a Ghost boot disk, all drives and partitions are visible and accessible via Ghost's floppy interface except the 40GB Ghost partition!

To test, I've created a Ghost partition on the boot drive (HDD1) and it will be visible and accessible but not so HDD2.

The partition structure prior to the partitions I've created are like this:

- Unallocated Size: 7.8MB Used: 00 Status: none Primary
- Extended Size: 114,460MB Used: 114,460MB Status: Active Primary
- Spare (H) etc Logical
- Ghost (I) etc Logical

Why does Ghost not see the last partition?

Any partition experts out there could lend a hand?

Thanks and appreciation ~ John

braindead
22-07-2005, 03:57 PM
(bump)

Anyone? :confused:

pctek
22-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Is it formatted? Ghost sometimes doesn't like it if its not.

braindead
22-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks pctek. Yes it is. I've managed to get around it by reversing the order of the 2 partitions on this drive, IOW it's now the first partition. Now Ghost sees it but I'm no wiser why it didn't when it was the last partition.

Murray P
22-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks pctek. Yes it is. I've managed to get around it by reversing the order of the 2 partitions on this drive, IOW it's now the first partition. Now Ghost sees it but I'm no wiser why it didn't when it was the last partition.

Long shot, is the drive on a raid array? Is Ghost particualry sensitive to partitiontables that are, perhaps, a little different to standard?

braindead
22-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks Murray P. Nope...just a plain vanilla drive system.