PDA

View Full Version : web graphics all wrong /can't change to 16 bit

mark c
20-07-2005, 07:03 PM
In both IE and Firefox the graphics rendering is all wrong wherever I go, here, Yahoo, Google. I've had this before on other machines and changed the setting in Display to "16 bit" instead of "16 full colour" but on rebooting the setting has changed back again.

This is running Win 98 and has been beahving very oddly with lots of BSOD nad random restarts but aster running Spybit and Adawre and Scandisk and Scanreg and a full virus scan with AVG seems to be running OK but as I say now the graphics rendering is wrong and I can't change the setting.

I couldn't find anything definitely wrong but at one stage an error message pointed to problems with Norton "VXD 0028:007465" but can't find any trace of Norton. Another message said "AVGcore" but couldn't find anything definite about that either. Could it be a conflict with AVG and 98? Has been running fine for 4-5 years before I got it and has had AVG all that time.

Any tips, pointers much appreciatted. TIA......mark c

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Uninstall / reinstall the videocard drivers.

mark c
20-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Hmmm.....haven't got a seperate videocard on this I think so removed then refreshed the monitor display. Is this right? (Still the same but.)

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 08:13 PM
No, if the drivers appears in add/remove programs for the videocard, uninstall them, and then reinstall them again (or a later version of the drivers).

Depending on what the brand/model of the videocard is (ATI/Nvidia etc).

mark c
20-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Like "ATI mach 64 Display Driver"? This apers in add/remove programs but if I remove where do I get it back from?

Feeling like bit defeated at the moment, been about 6 hours trying to get this going proplerly.......m

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 08:43 PM
That sounds like it.

Either from the mobo cd if u have it, or from or http://www.atitech.com/
or https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

I think?

I dont know if its a rage, all in 1 or radeon. I dont use an ATI card.

mark c
20-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling furefox but no improvement. If it's any help the white reply boxes here have got lines of blue dots through them, and the options at the bottom like 'post reply'. 'edit' , 'quote' and 'quick reply' are shades of grey rather than coloured. Must be a display / video thing. If not on the net the display looks OK in Explorer though it's a bit harder to tell......m

*sigh* darn computers :(

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 09:08 PM
If u uninstalled the drivers, you'll have to reinstall a version from somewhere.

The display without drivers will look crap.

mark c
20-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Interesting and interestinger. I just turned the 'graphics acceleration' down to none after wandering around in the labyrinth of the Help. Now the display is better, blue dots have gone and the colours have come back but still not perfect, like litle green smudges on the "post Reply" button. Thanks speedy for al the responses. Don't really seem to be getting far, Fix one thing, something else goes wrong. Will see what happens if I up the accelration a little more than none. Don't realy know what I'm doing here. If I don't get any joy I'll try removing the driver and getting another from the sites you posted. Bit diffident bceause if my display really goes to custard then may not be able to identify enough to get another driver, that's the worry.......m :)

mark c
20-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Strike a light no wonder people become computer enthusiasts. It all works perfectly again! I went to change the acceleration and tried changing to '16 bit' again for the helluva it and it did change OK and now the display is as good as it ever was and the comp shuts down and starts without any problems (so far LOL).

Well, well. Thanks for the tips, hints and encouragement speedy.

Still don't know quite what was going on ( would have preferred to find something definite=learn something) but at least got it going again.

Cheers............m :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Good to hear its running properly now! (for now).