PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burner Troubles

craig.b
19-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I have an LG DVD Burner, it is a GSA-4160B. I bought it about three months ago and have had nothing but trouble from it. I have returned it twice to the retailer, who have twice checked it out and returned it saying they have found no faults.

Every now and then it seems to work OK though, so I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. Two days ago I bought some brand new Imation 8x DVD-R discs with the idea of backing up a bunch of files, home movies etc.

I have now made 10 lovely new coasters with them, because every time I try and burn to the discs, they fail before even starting to write the files. I get errors like 'no seek complete', 'write error', 'incorrect function', 'tracking error' and others I can't remember.

Since then I have got the latest driver and firmware from LG and the latest versions of Alcohol 120% and Nero 6. The media type I am using is supported by the writer, and I have had some success in the past with the Imation discs, hence continuing to use them.

However, just now I tried to write the files again, and with both apps I had no joy at all. Again I got 'no seek complete'.

Short of hucking the writer out and getting a different one, is there anything anyone else can think of to try to get it working?

Cheers,
Craig.

Other PC details if needed:
Windows XP SP1
AthlonXP 3200+
512Mb RAM
50+ Gb free Hdd Space

quarry
19-07-2005, 09:54 PM
if possible - try on another pc

pctek
19-07-2005, 09:56 PM
I think you have tried everything reasonable already. Yes, you could give it a go on another PC.
But I would go back to the shop and get a refund or another brand.

craig.b
19-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Heh, I wish I could. Because retailer has not had trouble with the drive, and that I have modified it since purchase (updated firmware) they will not take back. And I don't have another PC to test on.

Seems odd, because every now and then it works OK. But on saying this, I have not had any success with it since updating firmware and getting latest versions.

I think I am going to smash it and get another, because I have had enough of it.

Can anyone suggest me a good writer that will do at least 8x DVD-R and DVD+R, as well as CDR/RW? When I bought the LG one, I read heaps of reviews that all said it was great, so this time I would like to hear from people that have had good experiences with their ones...

Thanks
Craig.

PaulD
20-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Why don't you smash the PC and keep the DVD writer? Unless you find out why the LG wasn't working, you'll never know if another brand is likely to be any better.

mxpress
20-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I have used and sold LG DVD rewiters for several years and i have found them to be trouble free and reliable. Since the retailer is no help to you, I suggest you 'google" for the NZ importers and contact them direct. If the unit is faulty, they will replace it.

I have an LG DVD Burner, it is a GSA-4160B. I bought it about three months ago and have had nothing but trouble from it. I have returned it twice to the retailer, who have twice checked it out and returned it saying they have found no faults.

Every now and then it seems to work OK though, so I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. Two days ago I bought some brand new Imation 8x DVD-R discs with the idea of backing up a bunch of files, home movies etc.

I have now made 10 lovely new coasters with them, because every time I try and burn to the discs, they fail before even starting to write the files. I get errors like 'no seek complete', 'write error', 'incorrect function', 'tracking error' and others I can't remember.

Since then I have got the latest driver and firmware from LG and the latest versions of Alcohol 120% and Nero 6. The media type I am using is supported by the writer, and I have had some success in the past with the Imation discs, hence continuing to use them.

However, just now I tried to write the files again, and with both apps I had no joy at all. Again I got 'no seek complete'.

Short of hucking the writer out and getting a different one, is there anything anyone else can think of to try to get it working?

Cheers,
Craig.

Other PC details if needed:
Windows XP SP1
AthlonXP 3200+
512Mb RAM
50+ Gb free Hdd Space

craig.b
20-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Ah, I didn't mean the retailer has not been helpful, they have, in both cases the writer has been sent to the importer and tested, and I have been sent back a test report showing no problems. However, it will not work on my machine, which may be a quirk of some softwtare or setup I have.

What I am getting at is that it is no longer economical for me to pursue this path, especially when new (faster) writers are about $120. I have already spent the better part of the three months I have had the writer playing with it trying to get it to work. I no longer have the time or patience to continue.

So, like I asked for a little earlier, does anyone know of a really good dvd writer brand?

Cheers,
Craig.

Billy T
20-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Two things:

If it works OK for the supplier, you would be well advised to check it on another PC using the same media, as pointed out by others, the fault may be yours, not the burner.

Secondly, updating the firmware from the manufacturer's site will not invalidate your warranty any more than adding manufacturer's accessories or changing the type of wheels and/or tyres would invalidate the warranty on a car.

As always, I refer you to the website (http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/index.html) of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs. Read it thoroughly, test your burner in another system, then if it is still faulty, go back to the supplier as an informed consumer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
20-07-2005, 02:23 PM
What other software do you have running at the same time? Just because you've got a very fast CPU and lots of memory isn't reason to use it all, all the time.

Have you tried burning a DVD with the absolute minimum of other software running?

If you are watching a movie, downloading some MP3s, and using a chat room while you burn a DVD expect problems. :)

craig.b
20-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the various comments.
Just took the burner to work today and have tested in my box here which is about as different from mine as you can get. I used both Imation and Verbatim DVD-R's and both failed with the same errors before the disc begins to burn.

Ok, and last time I sent it to retailer for testing it took nearly a month to get the drive back, they kept in touch with me throughout, but importer took a while to do testing.

When it came back, as far as I could tell it worked, as I had about three successful burns, before I ran out of media. When I got some more a few weeks after, it failed every one of those. After that I burned about 20 cd's, and all of these worked fine, and still work now.

Short of sending it back, and waiting a damn age again, which I don't have time for as I need to burn a whole bunch of DVD's before the end of the month, I see no real alternative but to replace it.

I am looking at either the Asus DRW-1608P, the Pioneer DVR-109, or the Sony DRU800A.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Craig.

craig.b
20-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks Graham, but no, I never have any other software running while burning anything, apart windows and any services running. I have even tried ending all but the bare minimum of these before burning, but it made no difference.

Also, the problems I have are not due to buffer faults, or memory errors. When the burn fails it ALWAYS fails before the write even begins.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Are u using something like INCD, or directcd? If you're using My Computer?

If u are, has XP's cd burning been turned off?

As it doesnt support DVD burners..

What exactly are u using Nero for?? for data? for DVD's?

ASUS burners are pretty good. I'm using the 1604P, have never had a prob with it. The 1608P is about 108 inc GST down the road here.

Graham L
20-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Worth a try. Many people don't know just how much they have running. ;)

Next thing. Check that the drive and any other drive on the same IDE interface are correctly jumpered. The master/slave setup for the drive controllers is done only at power up. If the DVD is on a 40 wire cable, DON'T use CS.

craig.b
20-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Graham:
Nah, it's an 80 Wire cable, drive is master and is only device on the cable.

Speedy:
Windows CD burning is off, am using Nero 6 - the latest, just got it two days ago.
or latest Alcohol 120, as my first post said.

My tests so far: mainly burning mpeg/avi movies to dvd for later playback and burning files using nero. Also I use alcohol to take backups of cd and dvd games I have.

Both apps fail to burn at start of task - but if I use the simulation mode, all operations complete successfully with all apps - this leads me to believe it is not a software/driver fault, but the writer (or media) itself, and since I have tried many media, I haven't much else to blame...

Graham L
21-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Have you (or can you borrow) another IDE cable? Even a 40 wire one.

Sometimes cables have faults. ;) Sometimes even intermittent faults (there are a lot of contacts there).

PaulD
21-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Another thing to try is CD burning. There have been some cases with faulty (Via??) motherboard drivers where the IDE channel can pass enough data for CD burning but not DVD

Rob99
21-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Are you using Nero Vision Express to make the movies?

Are you selecting "burn at once"(I think that what it's called) which is the last option before you burn, if you are I would suggest you dont.

In my experience Imation make the worst discs out, you would be better off using the cheapest you can find.

If you buy a new DVD burner get the Pioneer.

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2005, 05:18 PM
I would be curious to know what speed you have been burning the Disc's at

Otherwise, I like the Samsung TS-H552 drive, quite nice and does 8x with the cheap CMC Disc's just fine :)

somebody
21-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm simply throwing speculation around here, but could the software you're using be an illegit copy, and hence has some bugs?

Trev
21-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I purchased an Asus DRW-1608P from Ascent for $121 a week ago. Have made a few coasters too, but through my own fault and have also made some DVDs of a certain Star Wars movie and the Live 8 Pink Floyd segment.
Do you have you writer setup as a master drive.

Trevor :)

craig.b
22-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the various comments. A wee update:
I have managed to get 6 successful discs out of my writer - still using Imation discs. I have swapped from using DVD-R to DVD+R, and have't had a problem since.

I have burned two movies, a whole bunch of files, and made a backup of a game I bought. All of these worked OK. This was using the same programs as before, with the inclusion of CloneCD for the backup.

Anyone got any idea why that might be? I kindof need to use DVD-R as a dvd player I own won't read the +R discs...

Rob99
22-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Where are you, if chch I will give you a different brand to try

Edward
22-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Just wondering, have you tried burning the -R disks at the slowest speed possible?

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Im with Edward, and I'll ask again:
What speed have you been burning at?

Murray P
22-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Am I blind? Nowhere in this thread can I see a post of the exact error returned. The error log will contain information that will narrow down the choices of what needs to be done to fix the issue.

Without the error(s), any fixes are speculative shots in the dark.

For my shot in the dark, I'll go with a combination of media (discs) and speed settings.

Chilling_Silence
22-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I gotta agree with Murray on this one.....

Trev
22-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Just another thing, why don't you use DVD+RW disks like me, for your first copy and if it stuffs up you haven't lost a disk. When you make a good disk that you want to keep just burn it on to a DVD+R disk.

craig.b
22-07-2005, 07:22 PM
For the speed, I have always been using the media's rated speed, which was 4x, until I recently got some 8x, which I tried at both 4x and 8x. DVD-R didn't work, DVD+R is working now. no guarantees to stay that way however, as when I originally bought the -R's that have been failing, I did have some success with them.

For those of you who didn't read my first post about the errors:
-----
quote myself:
I get errors like 'no seek complete', 'write error', 'incorrect function', 'tracking error' and others I can't remember.
-----
here is a log that says pretty much the same thing:

###################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
20:19:32 Processor info: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ (2204MHz)
20:19:32 Memory Available to Windows: 523,760 KB
20:19:32 Memory Buffer size: 128 MB
20:19:32 Image file loading: C:\Image.mds
20:19:32 DVD Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 1.91 GB / 222:51:71
20:19:38 (W: ) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B(1:0): Recording Method/Speed
20:19:38 Recording - DVD DAO - 4.0X (5540 KB/Sec)
(W: ) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B(1:0) - Media format: DVD-R
20:20:19 (W: ) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B(1:0) - [Write ERROR] LBA: 0, Length: 16
S:KEY - 03/02/00 - "No Seek Complete"
20:20:19 (W: ) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B(1:0): Recording failed!
20:20:19 Error message: [03/02/00] - No Seek Complete
20:20:19 (W: ) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4160B(1:0): Recording failed!
20:20:19 Image file loading aborted!
################################################## ############################

And about the DVD+RW discs, I tried that at the start, and cooked two +RW discs. When the writer starts up it burns something, and dies before even beginning to write the image. If i eject the disc and put it back, the writer stuffs about for up to 5 minutes trying to read the disc, and then the little 'disc inserted' light goes out.
If I try and get an app to read the disc, or get disc info, it does the same thing, only I get a pretty dialog box saying no disc, or similar.

craig.b
22-07-2005, 07:37 PM
And just in case one log file wasn't enough, another is available here:
http://scone.orcon.net.nz/log.txt

this is a single log entry from nero, after a failed write to DVD-R.
Somewhere near the bottom is the error message I received: 'PMA update failed'

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 07:59 PM
I would find out why the DMA for this is off.

Whats this one, on the secondary ide channel??

Just a DVD? Check the BIOS and see if the ide device's DMA is on AUTO.

CdRomPeripheral : SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM 2.7a vax347s Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off

I would also get Nero 6.6.0.15/a. Thats what its upto now.

This seems to be a common prob with this burner.

It's either not enough ram or the media. Or try closing as many programs as u can before u burn.

Trev
22-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Just another thing, why don't you use DVD+RW disks like me, for your first copy and if it stuffs up you haven't lost a disk. When you make a good disk that you want to keep just burn it on to a DVD+R disk.

I suppose my post dosen't make any sense really, if you have a burn failure when burning from the DVD+RW to the DVD+R.

PS not thinking clearly today have a cold.

craig.b
22-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Ok, Easy enough, the SCSI/VAX dvd is an emulated drive from alcohol 120.

Also, from my new pack of DVD+R's that were working yesterday, I have now made 3 more coasters.

About the DMA Access, I can't find this setting in the device manager where it used to hide, has it moved in windows XP?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 11:30 PM
In that case, I wouldnt worry about it, as it's a virtual drive.

It might not have an option for DMA.

I would try disabling / removing Alcohol.

It might be that, thats stuffing things up.

DMA might be under IDE ATA/Atapi controllers.

Primary/Secondary IDE. / Advanced settings tab. Well thats where it is on this.

Rob99
22-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Are you selecting "burn at once"(I think that what it's called) which is the last option before you burn, if you are I would suggest you dont.

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I doubt it would be Alcohol stuffing things up.

Can you try a burn for us at the lowest possible speed?

Murray P
23-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Do as Chill suggests. Flush out and update your ASPI, and drivers. Update Nero, there is a Nero tool to flush out drivers I believe, use it.

Good luck.

Nyuuji
23-07-2005, 09:02 AM
On the cd that came with the drive, there should be Nero. If you have installed that then under Programs>Nero> Nero Toolkit>, there is a DMA manager.
Use that to check your DMA settings and change if needed.

Murray P
23-07-2005, 01:55 PM
From the log posted. DMA is on. It might be worth a try turning it off.

craig.b
23-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Ok, Thanks for those suggestions. At this point I am not going to try any more. I am going to completely re-build my machine, probably next weekend. I will start with a clean install of just what I need to use for DVD burning, and try then. I figure I am not going to get a solution by just playing with random settings and uninstalling apps/drivers - i have tried this too many times before only to have to go with a clean install eventually ahyhow.

I will post again once I have done that.

Digiteyez
06-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I have a pioneer DVD CD burner and recently it started to fail to burn CD's.
I get an error message can not find fixation point, the same message appears when I use my CD burner, (Just Link).I use windows XP, it must be a software problem, I rinstalled my Nero program a few times without results.
Any idea? Any conflicts? I use Registry Mechanic for cleaning up my system, all devices work properly.
Playback on CD and DVD are both perfect.
Thanks
Robert