PDA

View Full Version : Editing W2k registry from another OS

rumpty
19-07-2005, 08:26 PM
I have a dual-boot set up on my computer with W98 and W2k. Due to some confusion within W2k about HD letters (occasioned by my playing around with drives), W2k will no longer boot. I therefore need to edit its registry around the area of Mounted Devices, I think. How can this be done from W98?

Thanks for any advice.

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Sounds like it might be the boot.ini file u need to edit in 2k.

rumpty
19-07-2005, 10:43 PM
My situation is as in KB249321, and the solution is in KB223188, as far as I can see

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2005, 12:13 AM
From what i understand there are some bootable Linux CD's which have registry editing abilities, but the extent of this I am not sure.

You could try the INSERT Rescue CD (http://rescue.cd) and see if that works.

hamstar
20-07-2005, 02:14 AM
if you can access the win2k drive (which I assume you can) just search for boot.ini (make sure all files shown in folder settings) then edit it.

Otherwise run a linux, install wine, get the HIV file from the win2k drive and replace the one in wine with it, run the wine regedit and mod away.. then put the modded HIV file back into windows...

I think HIV is where the registry is kept?

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I thought they were called Hives?

Graham L
20-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Win2k doesn't have "drive letters" until it has booted. There are only hardware partitions as far as the boot process is concerned. You can edit boot.ini with a DOS editor, or Notepad, after changing its attributes.

Does W2k boot, then crash because the drive letters specified in the Registry aren't right?

Changing the Registry with anything other than the W2k tool would seem to me to be a very dangerous game. Does the word "reinstall" come to mind? ;)

Can't you do a repair with the W2k installation CD?

rumpty
20-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Win2k doesn't have "drive letters" until it has booted. There are only hardware partitions as far as the boot process is concerned. You can edit boot.ini with a DOS editor, or Notepad, after changing its attributes.

Does W2k boot, then crash because the drive letters specified in the Registry aren't right?

Changing the Registry with anything other than the W2k tool would seem to me to be a very dangerous game. Does the word "reinstall" come to mind? ;)

Can't you do a repair with the W2k installation CD?

Yes, W2k does boot and then stalls, as per kb249321. The fix (kb223188) seemed like a simple job if I could edit the registry. Are there any third party registry editing tools?

I think there is more to it than editing boot.ini, isn't there?

As a last resort I will try the repair function or a reinstall.