PDA

View Full Version : BIOS setup password

bk T
19-07-2005, 01:07 AM
This mother's bios setup is password protected but unfortunately, no one knows or remembers what the password is. Now, how do I unlock it? Removing the battery will do the job?

andrew93
19-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Yes but give it a few minutes before putting it back in. If you search on Google for 'flashing the BIOS' you can also reset the BIOS by reseting one of the nearby jumpers (not forgetting to put it back to how it was).
Andrew

heni72847
19-07-2005, 12:20 PM
or you can look up these factory passwords
they're the generic passwords that works even when you have your own password set
that way you don't need to set the settings again

pctek
19-07-2005, 01:49 PM
If you search on Google for 'flashing the BIOS' you can also reset the BIOS by reseting one of the nearby jumpers (not forgetting to put it back to how it was).
Andrew
Before doing that search, note the BIG difference between flashing the bios and resetting it. Resetting it with the jumper is what you want to do. NOT flashing it.

godfather
19-07-2005, 02:40 PM
This mother's bios setup is password protected but unfortunately, no one knows or remembers what the password is. Now, how do I unlock it? Removing the battery will do the job?

Assuming the PC in question is a desktop and not a laptop, yes.

If a laptop, that will not work.

Graham L
19-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Some motherboards have a jumper marked "Clear CMOS" or something similar. If you manage to clear the password by removing the lithium cell, remember to go to the password section in the setup and explicitly save the setup settings in a "no password" condition. The CMOS memory is a capacitor. It can remember a password (in its dielectric) and go back to the password protected mode. I've seen it happen.

Some laptops can be reset. Modern laptops are unlikely to be resettable, except by the manufacturer's service organisation. I think it's some models of Toshiba which use a "dongle" plug which can be built. It plugs into the serial port.

bk T
19-07-2005, 07:02 PM
... If you manage to clear the password by removing the lithium cell, remember to go to the password section in the setup and explicitly save the setup settings in a "no password" condition. ...

It's a desktop pc.

Am I right to say that after removing the battery, go straigt to the BIOS setup and save the settings in a 'no password' condition?

The password should have already cleared, right? If it still hasn't, I won't be able to enter setup!

Anyway, will try it out this week end as it is my uncle's pc.

Thank you all, folks.

Cheers