PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Interesting Result From BIOS Update (Inspiron 8600)

LongW
18-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I guess I did a silly thing to my Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop.
Spec: Dell Inspiron 8600. Centrino 1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD, DVDRW, 15.4" wide screen, wireless LAN...

I upgraded the BIOS version from A07 to A14 and interesting behavious started to occour. It sometimes boot up without a problem. However some other times it just wouldn't start at all. All the lights were on but the laptop just had no sign of starting. I was told to bypasse this problem I would need to KEEP pressing the "DEL" key when booting, and the reason why was that you need to OVERBUFFER the keyboard. Amazingly it WORKED!

I could have settled down with this but I didn't. I then "backward" updated the BIOS back to A07 since I thought there was a problem with the upgarde. This, however, didn't fix the problem. It is happening exactely as before and the worst thing is, pressing the "DEL" key won't work any more!!

I understand that other keys might just work too thus I tried a couple of then and finally I found that a combination of the "Page Up" and "Page Down" key would SOMETIMES do the trick. And "TAB" and "Caps Lock" and "Shift" would sometimes work too.

Could anyone shed light on the problem? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Usually after u flash a BIOS, you're meant to go into the BIOS and set the default settings.

And reconfigure whatever options u need. Then save the settings in the BIOS. Then reboot.

Did u reset the BIOS settings to their default settings?

LongW
18-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the help. The problem was that straight after the BIOS update, the laptop rebooted itself and then it didn't start any more (when it meant to). We had to use the key pressing method to boot into the laptop. And yes we reset everything to default but that didn't seem to help.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Is the DEL key the key to get into the BIOS??

Or F1, F2, F10, or some other key?

LongW
18-07-2005, 09:11 PM
The "F2" key is the one for getting into the BIOS. (As with most Dell desktops and laptops). Cheers.

Murray P
18-07-2005, 09:11 PM
And the reason for flashing the BIOS was?

Does this machine have a dual BIOS, if so try loading the second BIOS up. But before you do that, answer the above, just in case there may be something else entirely other than the BIOS causing the problem.

LongW
18-07-2005, 11:14 PM
We updated the BIOS only because we thought it might be better for the system. There were no specific reasons for doing that. And as far as we concerned it does not have dual BIOS loaded. Cheers.

pctek
19-07-2005, 12:08 AM
We updated the BIOS only because we thought it might be better for the system. There were no specific reasons for doing that.
Ah - you fixed it when it wasn't broken! And now..... :badpc:

Murray P
19-07-2005, 03:32 AM
We updated the BIOS only because we thought it might be better for the system. There were no specific reasons for doing that. And as far as we concerned it does not have dual BIOS loaded. Cheers.

Speedy, it looks like you've got this pretty much in hand..

Metla
19-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Flash it back to an older bios.

Myth
19-07-2005, 11:43 AM
We updated the BIOS only because we thought it might be better for the system. There were no specific reasons for doing that. And as far as we concerned it does not have dual BIOS loaded. Cheers.I'm sure we spoke about this in another post not long ago @ Metla..... :rolleyes:

Metla
19-07-2005, 11:52 AM
They seem to come in 3's....

FoxyMX
19-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Shall we put this on our subscribed threads list to put the frighteners in people when they start talking about flashing the BIOS? :p

No offence to you LongW, you weren't to know and we all make mistakes. Hope it all works out for you in the end.