PDA

View Full Version : ip video surveillance cameras?

FAB
18-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Hello all,

We are having problems at one of our sites with people breaking into cars in a semi-lit car park. They cut through the wire fence then steal stereos or try (sometime successfully) to take the cars.

Anyway has anyone had any experirnce with the IP cameras that are availalbe? Was looking at a Trendnet tv-ip200 unit at $340-odd which seems good value.

Of course we need something that will work in lower light levels, so not sure if this unit will do that. Just after something reasonbly priced that has motion detection with email/txt capabilities on motion detection. These features may be in software I realise.

Appreciate any help.

PS my favoured option is an electric fence - yeah baby!

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Any camera would do, even a webcam.

If u had a computer, at this site, with USB ports.

And something like this http://www.digi-watcher.com/

BUT it isnt free. This program lets u access video over the net. If youre not in the same house/place.

And takes a pic and notifies u I think by email. How far is the office, from the carpark?

FAB
18-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for that. The problem I thought with using a webcam is the quality, especially at night time. I don't expect the picture would be crash hot...

Office next to carpark, so not a huge issue, although we may need 2 cameras to cover the area. I'm thinking wired IP cameras as I've got plenty of cable the run is relatively easy, and only 30 metres or so.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Try wireless (if u do have a pc at the office and USB ports).

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42daf25f0a150c542740c0a87f9906e4/Product/View/XH3369

Extra cams from Dick Smith are $148

FAB
18-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks Speedy

Have you actually had experience with these units? They look good price-wise but not sure on night light quality, or if you are able to view images/footage over the net?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I've never had/used one, but a program like Watcher (the link i gave earlier), will broadcast the video.. And once u enable it to capture motion, it'll take a pic and email it to your email addy.

Windows SHOULD detect it, as it is USB.

All u have to do, is install Watcher or other, configure / set the cam as the capture device.

I think with Watcher, u can also have multiple windows, (if u have more than 1 cam)...It lets u load Watcher more than once.

The other file remoteview on the previous site, has a remote video surveillance feature, (with password etc), so u can view whats going on.

You could try it if the office has a PC, its (the video), is viewable thru a browser.

FAB
18-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks SG - that watcher software looks good and excellent pricing. I guess hte only issue is the minimum 3lux that the DSE camera can go down to...maybe a matter of purchasing one unit and trying it out.

Cheers and thanks again.

Bryce_Beattie
18-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi,

Well if you are going to put a webcam in ya car what the hell are u ganna hook it tup to as a laptop would :

A. Run out of battrey
B. Go to sleep and stop recording.

We would have to have some type of wirless system to view wats happing in ya car to viw it on ya laptop when ya working round.

Burt that brings up antoher topic who is gana carry around a laptop ?

:badpc: :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 03:19 PM
No worries FAB. The software might give u the option to turn the brightness etc up. Not sure. I did try Watcher 2.2 a while ago, (but have formatted since). And its now upto 2.30.

Umm, Bryce who said it was for a laptop?? or that it was for the inside of a car?

Depending on how big the carpark is, these cams since theyre wireless should view the carpark from all angles.

Depending on how many cams FAB decides to get.

FAB
18-07-2005, 03:23 PM
The thing with the wireless -sure, very handy, but still have to supply a power source...

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Not neccessarily.

If its USB the USB port might be able to supply the power.

This may or may not be enough. Unless the device has a power connection.

FAB
18-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Sorry I meant the camera will need a source of power...the USB receiver is fine - if it's next to the PC, then I'm sure there will be power handy.

But the camera(s)...nice to have them in absolutely the best possible places, but that may cost a fortune in getting a sparky in to run the power. I see those DSE units are 6 VDC, maye we could run them off batteries if they are set to start on motion detect? Just a thought.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Ah yer u have a point there.. I just downloaded the PDF file for the cam.

Might be a bit tricky with battery. Depending on how long it lasted.

Unless u get something like this

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42daf25f0a150c542740c0a87f9906e4/Product/View/L5925

This is 10 lux

Which by the looks of it, it uses infra-red.

And u got something like a video capture card to plug it into.

Like this

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42daf25f0a150c542740c0a87f9906e4/Product/View/L5907

Go here http://www.dse.co.nz

Type in infra red camera. There's a few cams here that use IR.

pine-o-cleen
18-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Sorry I meant the camera will need a source of power...the USB receiver is fine - if it's next to the PC, then I'm sure there will be power handy.

But the camera(s)...nice to have them in absolutely the best possible places, but that may cost a fortune in getting a sparky in to run the power. I see those DSE units are 6 VDC, maye we could run them off batteries if they are set to start on motion detect? Just a thought.
Or purchase a 6v power supply such as this:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42db551209bbfa642740c0a87f990723/Product/View/M9922

...and cut the plug off the end, run a 2 core cable to your camera, connect it to whatever your camera takes (again cut it and join it) and your done. Make sure to get the polarity correct though, some cameras are very sensitive and incorrect polarity can kill them.

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2005, 12:30 AM
I would be inclined to contact the likes of Jaycar. Otherwise try Pricespy.co.nz

Im sure you can get camera's for a few hundred that come with night-mode, which can be hooked up via USB.

Ideally you would like Go1984 or the likes then to broadcast the images remotely.
Ive used Go1984 in a few situations previously and have found it well worth the purchase price.

I cant remember the limit for USB Extension cables, but IIRC you can get power-boosted cables. Of course you _must_ have USB2.0 for this.

I havent used Digiwatcher so cant comment on the features by comparison, but Go1984 includes a Trial, I would highly recommend you download it and try it out.

When hunting for a camera, ask about its night-vision quality, as some give very crisp picture compared to others.
For motion-detection to work best, it needs to be crisp and at a high resolution. The higher the better :)

Cheers

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2005, 12:33 AM
As a side-note, you can always use an RCA connection and capture via a TV-Tuner/Capture card should you happen to find a normal Video Camera that looks like it would suit you nicely :) Any Capture-Card/WebCam/Digital Camera will work fine with Go1984 as far as I am aware.

FAB
19-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks CS

I did think about RCA and capture card - Swann have a nice led night unit down to 0 lux, but the nice thing with the IP cameras is that we don't need to connect it to a PC.
We could add a capture card into our server but not keen on loading it up anymore, and not sure keen on having another machine on 24/7 for monitoring cams.
But still an option of course.

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2005, 10:57 AM
I had a friend who tried a similar type of camera a year back. From what I remember he said it came with some basic software that would email him when it was triggered and have the images attached. It worked well though for what he wanted.

I get the feeling it was something along the lines of this sucker:
http://www.accesscams.com/internet_cameras_2110.htm

Cheers

Chill.

juicytree
19-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Ascent have a camera that also might do the job at http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=338644

FAB
20-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks JT

The problem I've found so far with the IP cameras I've looked at is that they don't have the LEDs for 0lux. As these units will be placed outside, I'm thinking that we'll need to go "standard" CCTV to get the nihgt vision working. Would hate to invest in a unit and find you can't see anything at night...
There are some huge flood lights already in the yard; guess I should go down one night and see how much light they throw off.

Also the IP cameras are so much more expensinve than standard CCTV cameras. Understandable I guess, but something else I need to keep in mind.

Perhaps one day PCW will do a comparision test...:)

Cheers.

Graham L
20-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Would a few PIR activated flood lamps help? If any human movement is detected the lights come on. Very cheap these days. You could even try putting heat lamps in them ... they might give enough IR to look like daylight to a camera. ;)

Of course there's the other problem. You can install expensive cameras. They are much more attractive targets than rotten old car stereos . :)

berryb
21-07-2005, 12:36 AM
If the cameras are outside then make sure they are up high, secure and all weather cameras. IR works very well but distance could be an issue. I have 2 CAMHT0011 16m IR cameras from http://www.dornwell.co.nz/products/security/camera.asp that work very well. Not IP cameras and would probably require an other PC depending on the specs of your current system. The software used is Avermedia and can email etc on motion if required and act as a webserver. If you want to view across the net then Jetstream is a must at both ends.

Bryce_Beattie
23-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Speddy,

:angry

This is the part of your message I dont like at all:

Umm, Bryce who said it was for a laptop?? or that it was for the inside of a car?

It was only an example of how you would view da fotage

That is bascialy an insult and taking the ____ out of another member.

It's called an example have you ever heard of an example ?

Thanks

Bryce_Beattie

Graham L
23-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Another point has occurred to me. The IR diodes used for low light situations aren't magic illuminators. Their range is limited. Jaycar suggest about 5m range. At any distance, I think you might just see blurred no contrast blobs which, with enough imagination, could be "seen" as intruders. People are better at seeing human forms in very noisy images (even if they don't exist) than computer software. ;) I have an idea that movement detection software would need "edges" to work with.

Bryce_Beattie: have you heard of "seeing abuse where it's not meant"? This is a moderately technical thread. You brought up objections to a sort of installation which was not even hinted at in the question, nor in any response other than yours.

Speedy, in the gentlest possible way, was saying: "read, and understand, the thread before posting". So don't be "angry:".

NZCHF_Limited-Manager
23-07-2005, 02:09 PM
[Edit: spammer post deleted. This is board is not for advertising your products on, this is clearly stated in the rules to which you agreed when you registered. You may read them again here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=52243). As you only registered to make posts about your products, your account has been permanently banned. - Jen (Moderator) ]