PDA

View Full Version : other ways of getting win xp sp1

polo
18-07-2005, 09:52 AM
is there any other ways of downloading windows xp service pack 1 without using windowsupdate. my win update doesnt work all. but i dont want to install sp2 either. i will prefer to download the small(express) one coz i hav dialup.i am running win xp pro please help.

Elephant
18-07-2005, 10:11 AM
You could download it here:-

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxpsp1.html

tweak'e
18-07-2005, 12:11 PM
on deailup its a pain. why not find someone who has it on disk already ?

is MS still offeringthose service pack disks ?

Terry Porritt
18-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Didn't I read on the Windows Update page a while ago that Windows Update is now only for XP SP1 and SP2? If so that is why the update does not work.

I fail to understand why you dont want to install SP2. It came on PC magazine CDs earlier on, so someone may have one, and as tweak'e says you may still be able to get it free from MS.

SurferJoe46
18-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Terry:

You and I know there's a lot of old wives' tales about the SP-2 thing. The real trouble with it IMHO, has been people who try to jam the whole SP thing (1 and 2) into a system that is so over-run with files and applications, that it messes them up.

Seems to me that if everyone burned their system down at least every 6 months or so, then there would be a lot less struggle with the M$ stuff.

Don't you agree?

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Well if u dont like SP1 or 2, dont use Windows. End of story.

And people wonder why they're riddled with worms,trojans, adware / spyware. When they dont update to SP1 or 2

And then they start complaining / whinging later.

Terry Porritt
18-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Right Joe and Speedy.
Apart from some known hardware problems, most other problems with installing SP2 seem, from what various forums say, to be related to having already existing problems with XP, and then of course trying to install SP2 leads to trouble.
Another common factor has been having AV programs, particularly Nortons Anti-Virus running, or other Norton programs running when installing.

As Joe indicates, a good spring clean, clean out all junk, etc etc and there should be no trouble with SP2.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2005, 07:00 PM
From what I've read, the only reason why SP2 will play up is, if u have spyware beforehand, or u have TVmedia, which is Spyware.

And u dont remove it first, or u have a Prescott CPU and u dont get the MS update before u install SP2.

Or to solve the prob of Spyware / cleaning junk beforehand, slipstream SP2 with a copy of XP. Cant get any easier!

And yup there's some software and hardware that aren't compat with SP2.

The info is listed on the MS site somewhere, telling u this.