PDA

View Full Version : Can't open pdf files in IE6

Oldroad
17-07-2005, 08:04 PM
For sometime now, have been unable to open pdf files in IE. A small graphic appears in top left corner and "Done" at bottom left. Back on the original page, right clicking on the pdf link then selecting 'save' allows me to save the document to my hard drive. Navigate to the saved pdf file, double clicking on it opens the file within Adobe Reader 6.0. OK, you say, no probs. But, then when I get a pdf link within an e-mail (as I did yesterday from PCWorld.com) right clicking does not bring up the same options as in IE6 and cannot save the file - or open it. I am running XP, IE6, Outlook and Trend Micro Internet Security, and no I am not running ZoneAlarm.
Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Is IE / OE the default browser / email client?

Is SP1/2 installed? And a link should work by left clicking to open it not save it. Unless its an attachment.

Oldroad
17-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes SG, IE6 default browser and Outlook my email client, OS is XP with SP1 installed.
The link I referred to is:
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/PDF/pdf/lo_res/Build.YourOwn.PC.pdf
Left clicking on this opens IE and as I stated previously, places a little square graphic at top left and Done at bottom left. The square graphic has a tiny red square, a tiny green circle and a tiny blue triangle within.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Hmm I see what u mean. It opens up here tho, with Opera and IE.

You could try reinstalling Adobe reader.

Or uninstall the version u have now, and download / install V7. If this version isnt installed at the mo.

tweak'e
17-07-2005, 08:53 PM
sounds like the activeX plugin is broken or the other comman cause is a temp internet cache that is way to big (which is comman in most modern systems).

Oldroad
17-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Interestingly enough, once the pdf link was embedded within the web page, I was able to right click, save and then open the saved file. Yes, I will un/install V7.
Tweak'e, what is the easiest way to check/repair ActiveX, re-install XP? And where can I manage the temp internet cache?

tweak'e
17-07-2005, 10:05 PM
in control panel/ internet optoins temp internet files/settings reduce cache size to 40 meg or so. then click "veiw objects...find the acrobat reader one and remove.

Oldroad
17-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Have carried out the un/install of Acrobat V7 and have adjusted the temp internet cache (from 2.4GB) down to 40 MB as suggested and now all working well. Many thanks guys, appreciate your help and advice.
Roger.