PDA

View Full Version : Wont boot

Rawleighsman
17-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi I wonder if some one can help. Friends computer won't boot at all. I entered set up to try and get the computer to boot from windows disk and the set up tells me that the CD reader is disabled. Any suggestions as to how I can beat this. I am prettty basic cheers

Murray P
17-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Any POST beeps (there should only be one)?

If there is an LED (or 2) on the motherboard, do they light up when the power is swtched on? Any fans whiring up or HDD LED lights up? (If no power, suspect PSU, the following checks will be redundant)

Check CD Rom cables.

What is the CD Roms boot order, it should be before any HDD, but doesn't matter if it is before or after the floppy.

Try loading BIOS setup defaults, then go to boot order and change the CD Rom.

Rawleighsman
17-07-2005, 07:42 PM
COmes up with coice of start up menu tried safe start and last known good start and nromal It then just haums away HD whirring and nothing happens
went into start up and Cd rom start was bottom of heap tried to alter and it cam up with cd disabled. I had added this cd writer previously last week and it had been working. I am suspecting a virus probvlem possibly with a need to reformat drive but haven't got a clue really how to do this. Using software is my area not hard ware

Murray P
17-07-2005, 08:05 PM
COmes up with coice of start up menu tried safe start and last known good start and nromal It then just haums away HD whirring and nothing happens

Well you have power, what's this startup menu, is this at the BIOS splash screen or are you talking about as Windows loads it goes to Safe Mode? What brand of PC is this? Does it have a rescue disc?

went into start up and Cd rom start was bottom of heap tried to alter and it cam up with cd disabled. I had added this cd writer previously last week and it had been working. I am suspecting a virus probvlem possibly with a need to reformat drive but haven't got a clue really how to do this. Using software is my area not hard ware

Does the CD work in another machine, how did the cable check out (pull and put back in, try a different Molex power cable, sometimes the get a bit loose and rattley.

A boot sector virus?? not too common these days. What beeps to you get at POST (when the machine is first started and as the BIOS is loaded), do you have a screen (just after the POST beep) that counts up the RAM, HDD's, etc, if so, what does it say. Is the HDD LED lighting up, or is the drive just spinning for a time?